Help

BusyBoard

Are you having a class Halloween Party?

>

jks

Are you having a class Halloween Party?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

With all the concerns about food allergies and ethnic diversity, are you having a party in your classroom this year? What types of foods and activities have you planned? TIA

jks is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Halloween
Old 10-29-2017, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have a costume parade. After which, I bring my children back to class to share a treat. The treat is whatever parents bring in. I am mindful of student food allergies. Luckily, Iíve never had a student with nut problems. Iíve had students with problems with chocolate, eggs, and dairy.

I keep it mellow. No party games. I play fun Halloween music and maybe read a story or two. We clean up and head outside for play. Iíve done it this way for years. I always call it treat sharing. In my experience when the word "party" is used, students think rules arenít important and get crazy.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-29-2017, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach K and building community is important to me. We have a school-wide parade around the neighborhood, then we do crafts and games in my classroom. It culminates in a Taco Bar potluck lunch to which all families are invited.

I choose a Taco Bar because anyone in the world can find something to eat...vegans, gluten-free, diary-free, etc. It's a fun day.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Parties
Old 10-29-2017, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For our parties we always plan to serve something sweet, something salty, plus something healthy.

For example that might be a cup cake or cookie for something sweet. The salty was usually pretzels or popcorn. Then we also had some fruit choices for the healthy.

We serve water for a drink at the party rather than something with sugar as that would make two sugar items.

We served nothing with nuts or nut butters like peanut butter.

We are not allowed to serve foods like pizza because it means the kids will not eat their "nutritious" meal in the cafeteria. So we only serve snack foods after lunch so as not to compete with lunch. That means all parties have to be in the afternoon.

We are allowed three parties a year. We chose not to have one on Halloween as some families have issues with this holiday. We celebrate winter holidays in December, Valentine's Day in February and the end of the school year.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-29-2017, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a costume parade and a party. Teachers don't have to plan anything!

Room moms set everything up, including sign up genius, setting up for party, food, games, etc. and clean up. Honestly, if I had to do anything, I'd probably do very little. Thankfully, I teach in a community where parents are involved!

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Unfortunately — yes!

Room moms are supposed to take care of it all, but it never works out that way! Kids and staff can wear costumes too. In fact, the P wanted us to do a grade level costume thing. It was super hard to get 8 women to agree on what tied-together theme we would do.
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-29-2017, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
In fact, the P wanted us to do a grade level costume thing.
We used to do that, but it's hard to come up with ideas. Ours included students, too. As in all 4 K teachers and all K students were one theme costume, etc. One year, the teachers dressed as farmers and the students were fruits and veggies...a kinder-GARDEN.

I kinda miss it.

One year, 5th grade went as our P. They all wore bald caps and Dallas cowboy jerseys. THAT was hilarious!
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school policy is to pretend it isn't Halloween. I love it!
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We can have "Harvest Parties". It is kind of ironic since I teach in one of the least diverse states! In 25 years in elementary education, I have never had a student who did not celebrate Halloween or Christmas!

We are not allowed to dress up. If a student has part of a costume or dyed hair, they have to change or go home.

For the party, we just have some snacks basically. I do use it as a time to make sure they practice manners.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
My school policy is to pretend it isn't Halloween. I love it!
Ditto. It's school as usual. Any of our rare parties or events (1-2 per year per class) that we have are tied to curriculum and happen independent of holiday schedules.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

Party planned by students
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As usual, we let our 5th graders plan their own party. One third decorate, one third plan and run games, and one third plan and bring in food.

This year I have two with peanut allergies. One has a parent who says, "My child know not to eat food with nuts or foods that are iffy." You don't need to do anything different than usual.

The other wants every room in our wing nut free (both children need to ingest the nuts to have a reaction). I was to send menus home to the second parent for three parties in separate rooms even though her child would only be in my room that whole day.

Both kids were on the food committee in my homeroom and okayed the menu (I gave them a list of pre-approved foods).

I sent a copy home as requested, and the one mom needed to see a recipe for the pumpkin dip. I supplied it. She wasn't happy that there would be homemade food at all. I suggested that I put the pumpkin dip at a separate table so that her child would not take it by mistake. That was not acceptable.

When our menus were paired down to exclude the pumpkin dip, she was mad about that too. I couldn't seem to make her comfortable about this party at all.

In the end, she found out the party was on a half day of school so she kept her child home. Of course she then posted on fb that the school pushed back so much that for the first time ever her child missed the Halloween party. Oh, and she mentioned that she cried for hours over it.

The games was great, the food was okay (popcorn, goldfish, jello, oreo cookies), the decorations were awesome.

Can't wait for the Christmas party!

Oh! Here's one great idea. I made Halloween Jib Jabs using the faces of my homeroom students. They loved it!
Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have a district wide policy of no school on Halloween Day. So the day before,I will celebrate with apple stamping with orange paint to create pumpkin pictures,apple tasting to make a graph and pumpkin seed counting to make sets of ten. We will taste pumpkin seeds too. I do love these special days as these are the activities that kids remember most . These days it can be tough at times to move beyond the drudgery of district assessments.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

party- a relative term
Old 10-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our school does wear costumes. Our kindergarteners parade in the AM through the other classrooms. Our kids can bring in treats, but they are limited and encouraged to bring pencils/erasers. We have a district policy of no food from home (homemade). Students can bring packaged food, and they are supposed to avoid allergens. We have some militant parents who expect the rest of the world (all other kids) to forgo their children's allergy foods. We do have a couple of kids who are actually diagnosed and who have epic-pens. We have several others that just have a parent say-so.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Same here
Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Same
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm not big on parties, so we keep it mellow. We already have a school wide parade, so after lunch I am going to let them play (their favorite thing anyway!) with a few Halloween inspired things around the room (orange playdough with jack-o-lantern parts, Halloween bingo, etc.). After our last recess we're going to do a taste test of some pumpkin flavored items and maybe watch a short video if time. Some of my colleagues go all out for parties and it's always chaos.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The principal has a costume guessing contest for herself and reveals her costume. Then, the classes walk around the building so the parents can see the children. We come inside, have a snack and watch a video. I also printed free bingo cards from TPT, but I'm not sure we will use them.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote