Help

Third Grade

Getting work completed

>

kahluablast

Getting work completed
Old 10-30-2017, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started doing some rotations over a month ago. I have had to do some adjusting on my expectations due to the fact that the groups were having trouble completing work. Learning to work together and finish a task took them a long time. I cut back on my expectations. I still can't get a majority of the class to finish work.

This week we had a discussion on what was going on. Many kids admitted or shared that off task behaviors are a part of the problem. I gave them another week of rotations to finish work and I still only have 2 kids that turned in all their work. I would be okay with that, except a good chunk had to take one assignment that I said HAD to be done home to finish (writing a final copy), and turned in one other assignment out of the 5 assignments. Is this okay? How do I remedy it? Do I lower my expectations again? Do I make them come in during recess to finish assignments?

I need this time in order to do RTI for a group of students. I don't know how to manage getting work done and the groups. It is also a big chunk of my reading/writing time.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does it have to be group work? I'm thinking if they can't work with groups then it needs to be independent work time.

OR...break it into more manageable chunks. By the end of the this class, you need to have x done. Perhaps the problem is that it's too much to do and it's overwhelming. I don't know what you're asking them to do, but maybe breaking it up would help.

OR...partners instead of groups.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Timing?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to hate it when I had the timing wrong or maybe it was the kids just not using their time wisely. It is really difficult to tell sometimes.

I agree with Greyhound Girl that working in a smaller group or just one partner may be the solution to finish up, if that is even possible at this point.

The problem may also be endurance. If they have not experienced doing big projects before they may not be able to break it down into parts. They may also be overwhelmed with the amount of work. Then they look busy and they are trying but they are focusing on the wrong part.

The students may need the project broken down into smaller parts. With shower term goals they may be more successful. Then back project can get slightly longer until they have built some endurance.

Hope that makes sense. Or I could be completely off base. Sometimes you just have to call it quits and grade on a curve. Sometimes you hound them until they are all complete no matter how long it takes.

Have they learned the objectives?

Last edited by 1956BD; 10-30-2017 at 08:09 PM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the most part the activities are fairly small, and not too hard. Read a short book, and answer 6-8 questions (multiple choice, matching). File folder like activity.

I could do more so that they could work in pairs, but I don't want to. Choice takes them too long to decide. One of the things I notice is that they argue over who gets to read the directions, or what the directions mean....

I had kids who hadn't finished work give me two recess today finishing work. Tomorrow being Halloween is a wash. I will make them give me Wednesday, and collect it all done or not... That is what they will get a grade on.

Truthfully, I have the largest number of kids who are unfocused this year than ever before. They don't finish math either. I have been sending it home for kids to finish. But I don't have extra supplies on the LA to send home. Most of it takes supplies of some sort. I am going to do some small groups next week to review working together and getting work done. I might be able to do some partner work on some things. Depends on how much "stuff" I have to support it.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have resorted to a 30 minute "Ketchup" Time on Friday afternoon. If they have completed all their work, they have free time. If any work has not been handed in, they have to complete that first. It is amazing how some of the space cadets can suddenly focus!

I also have a Foster grandparent that comes 2x a week, for 30 minutes. I use her to take 2 - 3 kids and have them work on completing work. They tend to focus better with her than in the classroom with 20 others... and she is great at redirecting.

choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote