Help

The VENT

Taking care of materials.

>

MissAgnes

Taking care of materials.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Why do students feel the need to damage or destroy materials? I have some cardboard magazine holders that I'm using to hold unfinished work folders. These were brand-new last week. Now I see that students have poked holes in them with their pencils.
Why do they do this? It's so discouraging that they feel like they can treat materials like this.
I've already put most of my high-interest books off-limits because they were being destroyed.
These are 4th graders!

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

many reasons
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A lot of people have "itchy" fingers, butter fingers, while others have sticky fingers. Let's hope that none of your kids have the latest. Those students that don't know what to do with themselves will destroy things. They're the ones that tend to fidget too or play with those finger boards. They could also be the ones who are good with their hands.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Bamagirl24

Bamagirl24

Itís ridiculous!
Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach high schoolers and they are the worst. I am surprised that yours are doing it and they are 4th graders. I bought new rulers at the beginning of the year and I had some students tear out the plastic material in the middle used for drawing straight lines. At first, I found them on the floor and I had no idea what it was and then a student said something about the boys tearing those out and using them to hit each other.
I would make them but their own supplies but they wonít so itíd be useless. Iíd still end up having to buy stuff. Also, I use tape for interactive notebooks and I find tape everywhere! About the only place I havenít found it is the ceiling but Iím sure they will find a way to get it up there.
I was taught better by my parents to respect stuff that especially isnít mine but kids arenít being taught respect at home anymore. And it is impossible to watch 20 - 30 students ALL the time!

teacherwriter

Yes, no respect
Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree--children are not being taught to respect others' belongings. So they think they can just poke and rip and toss whatever they want. I've had students poke holes into privacy shields and hammer rulers on the desks until the rulers snapped in two. At my current school, a fourth-grader destroyed a stapler by bending some of the mechanism inside . Today the same student twisted one of those flash card rings so it wouldn't close anymore. And yes, I've had students steal books before. At my previous school, I used to send home weekly behavior reports. One of the behavior skills was "respects others' and school property." I could check it as needing attention and then mention what the problem was. Can't do that at my current school.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Why not?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think they do it because they can - simple as that! YouTube videos show that kindergarteners in Japan and elsewhere take better care of their own and other's property than all American K-12 students combined. Isn't it both maddening and disgusting?

Ucan is online now   Reply With Quote

Monicasmith

Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think they destroy materials because so much at school is provided for them. I get the impression from some of my students that they think it is free. Many of my students are used be giving supplies to use........just a thought
Monicasmith is offline   Reply With Quote