Help

Kindergarten

professional development

>

Sbkangas5

professional development
Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you ever feel like 99% of professional development doesn't apply to kindergarten? Either that, or it's a k-2 or k-3 training and everything is geared towards the highest grade. I just want to scream "how does this relate to kindergarten?". Maybe some day I'll get to go to a kinder only conference.

Vent over.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-30-2017, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sing it, sistah!

If I have to tell one more presenter "That isn't developmentally appropriate for a 5 year old," I will scream. I blame them for when I tune out.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you!!!!! When I worked in a K-5 building, every year I had to beg the Principal to let me go to the state Kindergarten Conference. He would say, "We don't usually send teachers to grade level conferences?" I would agrue that Kindergarten is totally different than any other grade. Luckily 4 years ago we opened a Kindergarten Center in my district of only Kindergarten classrooms. Now everything is geared towards K!
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 11-01-2017, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes. We used to be Preschool-Grade 5. Now we are Preschool-Grade 1. That continues to be our biggest complaint about PD.

We had training from our state dept of ed a few years ago. After the first training where everything-videos, examples and resources was based on the third grade level, we specifically requested that the next training be geared to our specific grade levels since the presenter would be presenting to just our faculty. It was so frustrating when that didn't happen. Apparently the state prepares the presentations for only a couple grade levels and then it is up to us (audience) to "think" about how it works or what it looks like at our grade level. The presenter only knew her set presentation and was not able to answer our questions that were specific to our grade level. Some of what she told us to do was so unrealistic. She was not familiar with what K and First Grade students could do or what was developmentally appropriate.

The presenter got mad when teachers started talking amongst themselves. It was productive talk-not chatter. She requested that no one talk as she read the slides to us. i.e. Told us to have our students write a list of their 10 favorite things at the beginning of the year and have them keep it in their writing folder so they could refer to it when they didn't know what to write. Several of us were brainstorming ideas of what we could do in K-like having them draw pictures or cut out pictures since most of our students don't even know how to write their name or struggle to hold a pencil at the beginning of the year in K.

I'd rather have time to work on my classroom than attend PD that isn't geared towards my grade level.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, this thread is timely. We had a meeting today to go over PARCC scores. Only 3-5 takes that test. And, I know the district presenter has heard how K-2 doesn't want to hear it, because she kept saying, "Primary teachers, you need to know where your kids are going, so you can prepare them."

Um...I have kids who don't recognize the number 8 or the letter J. Comparing texts or showing your work on an algebra problem is not relevant! And all the meta-cognition stuff...super important, sure. For abstract stuff! Most of what I teach is concrete. "How do you know that's a J?" What is a kid going to say to that??

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote