Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Differentiated Objectives

>

DinoMonster

Differentiated Objectives
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We just received an email from admin saying that no one on campus has posted objectives that are differentiated to individual students/groups. I cannot wrap my head around how to do this for every subject without filling up an entire board with objectives for each student. Does anyone have to posted differentiated objectives? If so, how do you do it?

DinoMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you reply "You are absolutely right! When I have a room large enough that I can fill an entire wall with said objectives I'll be more than happy to do it."
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Relax
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Whenever you receive such an email (or any communication for that matter) involving more busywork, don't worry about trying to wrap your head around it - let the principal take the lead. Do you really want to know how other schools do it, so that he/she won't have to re-invent the wheel? Since every school is different, perhaps your superintendent is expecting every principal to devise their own plan. Whatever the case may be, why not just take a back seat and relax. Unless you aspire to climb the ladder or earn a brownie point, it may help to tell yourself, "I just work here." This way, you'll be able to handle anything else that is bound to come down the pike. Don't be too anxious to take on additional stress.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Interesting article
Old 11-03-2017, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...esnt-work.html

This article raises some valid points. EdWeekly did print a rebuttal by Carol Tomlinson that also has valid points. The biggest take-away for me is that all the differentiation we are expected to do is a huge time-sucker. In my humble opinion, writing different objectives for each group would be another huge time-sucker that is not worthwhile. I do differentiate as much as I am able, but the grade-level mastery objective is all I post or will post.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Common Sense
Old 11-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

While some degree of differentiation may be useful at times, I've always felt that there tends to be an overemphasis on making accommodations for every student in the class. It's no wonder that those who jump on the differentiation bandwagon are so overwhelmed, overworked and over-stressed while actual instruction time is greatly diminished.

Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wonder if your principal just means for small groups? Like if you see 3 different guided reading groups per day, you would have an objective fore each of those 3 groups.

We have to do that at my school and once I got in the habit, it's truly not that difficult. Some of the groups, especially the very lowest ones, often have the same objective for a long time. Many teachers at my school just made a kind of flip book thing that they keep on their small group table, and they flip to the objective they want each time a new group comes over. A lot of us use page protectors- you can either put a white paper in and write on the plastic/use it as kind of a white board, or just write the objective on regular paper and flip through them as you switch groups.

I have mine on a small bulletin board near my group table. I have a page protector stapled on there. I write my objectives on plain white paper and just put all the pages into the protector in the order I'll need them for that day. As I change groups, I just take the top page out. I tried some other things first (having several up there and labeling them, using the page protector like a white board and writing the objective prior to each new group), and this method has been the quickest and easiest for me.

If your P meant for whole group, I'm not picturing what that would look like at all.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Posting objectives
Old 11-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We donít have to do this and it sounds like a ton of work. Whatís the value in it? Iíve read lots of posts referring to posted objectives and to me it sounds like a major time suck for the teacher. Do the kids even refer to them? Is this an accountability piece for the teacher?

Anyway, Iím not sure if my suggestion makes any sense since Iím not familiar with this practice, but could you have a board called adaptations that includes general ways youíd adapt without calling attention to who might be receiving those adaptations? Something like small group reading support, levelled readers, specific word study, breaking down tasks, etc. If youíre differentiating wouldnít the kids still be trying to achieve the same ultimate objectives?
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am working hard on using small groups in both reading and math. Emphasis on working hard. I am trying to meet kids where they are and pull or push them where they can reach. Putting together lessons and being prepared for this multitude of activities is extremely time consuming. Should I be able to post an objective for each one? Yes. I know the objective. But taking the time to write them up, post them, change them, several times daily is absolutely a time sucker. I can spend that time grading, planning, and prepping and my class is going to get more of what people want. Add another thing for me to do and something has got to go. I have enough trouble staying up on it anyway. Every time my schedule gets changed for a sub, an assembly, or something else that comes down, I lose time. I don't have extra time.

Is it worth it? I think so. My low kids are definitely improving when I have time to give them what they need. My high kids grow, too. But at what expense is this happening? TBO. Teacher burn out rate is at a high.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
DoneWithIt

DoneWithIt

Really?!?!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No. Just no! I spend 65 hours a week meeting demand after demand. The objectives I have are more than enough. Kids need to know where they should be and judge their performance off the standard, not watered down versions of "let's baby them and give them false sense of achievement so they feel better about themselves". The reason they are behind is because they don't put forth the effort needed and/or don't have people that hold them accountable to learn.

About time for district to just purchase wall sized LED billboards and they can update the objectives from their office. You know they are out the door at 4pm on the dot. If they want all this ridiculous stuff posted then let them come in the afternoon, after work, or on the weekends and post it themselves.

Major soapbox for me....and I'm sure many others!

ICrazyTeach

Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We differentiate and are expected to differentiate in whole group instruction. I don't have different objectives posted, though. I guess the differentiation is more accommodations/supports to help all students meet the same objective. It just may be at a different level or in a slightly different way or with more support. The basic objective and standard, though, are basically the same for everyone.
That does not feel very clear to me. Sorry. My brain is toast by this point in the day!

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote