The VENT

Student trick or treated at my house?

>

MrsDo

MrsDo

Student trick or treated at my house?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This isn't a vent, but I've been creeping on this forum a lot and the most active one seems to be "The Vent". It's more for advice purposes.

I live and student teach on a military base less than a mile away from the school where I'm student teaching, so I do see students outside of work a lot as the kids can only attend the school if they live on the relatively small base. Two sweet students were very excited about trick or treating and asked where I lived on base. They have seen me around in shops and driving on base, so I couldn't say I didn't live on base.

I personally had no issue with them stopping by to trick or treat and say hello as I've had warm conversations with other parents and their children and they are quite friendly and a close-knit community.

I told them where and the house number and thought nothing of it the day before Halloween.

Today, one of the students who asked did come by and asked my husband if I was in. I came out to greet her with a hug and a bunch of extra candy. Her mom was there as well down the walkway and I waved hello and she thanked me. The other little girl apparently could not go trick or treating for some reason. She waved goodbye and was on her way.

My question is...now that I think about it, was this weird? I had other students come to my door on a whim that were very surprised to see me but she was the only one I specifically told to come say hello because she asked. Parent teacher conferences are coming up and I don't want to seem weird or inappropriate? I have a respectable relationship with my students but in no way is it overly friendly or inappropriate. This is a fear of mine. My host teacher is pretty stand-offish, but I know other teachers are more open and are friends with parents and students, so is it just preference?

I just wanted to do something quick and friendly since I live literally down the street from the school. My student teaching is over next week and I think my brain is trying to find any way I could mess this wonderful experience up.

Penguin82

Old 10-31-2017, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Absolutely not. You did exactly what we do with students: build relationships! It was totally fine.

We have a school in a tight knit community and all the students trick or treat around, hitting up the teachers houses. It's never been weird or inappropriate.
Penguin82 is online now   Reply With Quote
MrsDo

MrsDo

Thank you so much!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for the comment! I think I'm just tired and my mind isn't my friend right now. My host teacher is very private so I wasn't sure if this would be frowned upon, but I was so excited to see her and very touched she came by and asked for me. I just wasn't sure if it was weird I told them the specific address. Thank you very, very much for your professional advice. You're fabulous!

Peaches Pears

Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I grew up in a small town.
My parents would drive us to our teacher's house if she lived in town.

Same thing in the small village I lived and taught in for a few years. Once I moved to the city, the kids at the door didn't recognize DH or I as teachers, we continued to teach at our more rural schools.
But tonight my DD was recognized as the supply/substitute teacher in a tricker treater's class last week.

We live in communities.
It is okay to let on we know each other.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to like being more private, just so I could...um...have privacy. But for the past 35 years I have lived in a very close small town. I am retired, but many, many former students came to my house last night--and those are the parents of the trick or treaters!

I think it is just fine.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4first

Trick or treat
Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in the area where I teach. I have lots of my students come to my house for trick or treat. If I don't answer the door but DH does, they ask for me. You did not do anything wrong. You made someone very happy.
crazy4first is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What Peaches Pears said:
Quote:
We live in communities.
It is okay to let on we know each other.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

At ease soldier!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I see nothing inappropriate. If you're concerned about favouritism, it's barely there. Just keep your professionalism and friendly nature.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I see students as trick-or-treaters every year (and I'm another who remembers being driven to my teacher's house as a kid.) You're fine!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 11-01-2017, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My gym teacher lived on my block and right next door to my best friend. We loved going to her house for trick or treating. But man, do I cringe thinking about all we knew. For example, we knew when her boyfriend's truck stayed there over night and would ask if they had a sleep over!!! That poor teacher.

NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You sound very sweet, but I always felt that my students should not know exactly where I lived. I lived a few blocks away from my school and with so many "helicopter parents" always wanting my ear .....I valued my evenings and weekends. One parent down the block did know me and she thought it was fine to come by any old time with silly questions about homework or a field trip, etc. On a military base, I agree it would be hard to not answer students directly....but I would still be cautious about letting everyone know my address.
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 11-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

oh my god, rusty, that's so obnoxious! I can't believe a parent would think that that was okay.

To the original poster, I think it's sweet that the kids were so excited. Nothing wrong with trick or treaters coming to your house in my opinion. I live super far away from my school (almost an hour), so I'm actually a little jealous. I would love to see my students on Halloween! (but not really any other time hahaha)
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I have a
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

student living along my driveway.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

Military base life
Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Military families are usually far from extended family and, out of necessity, make bonds between each other that are far closer than non-military friends. I think that it is great that your students have a teacher who is so welcoming and kind. I think that military parents would understand and not think it is creepy. It is so important for military kids to have the support of an extended "military family"
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote