Help

BusyBoard

Anyone feel like sharing...

>

bGracie

Anyone feel like sharing...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

ideas for teaching vocabulary in math and science? I have my standbys, but I'm looking for anything tried and true that you've used. I'm really trying to steer clear of teaching vocabulary lists out of context. I would love to hear anything you have to share. Thank you!

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I put vocabulary games in my math stations weekly. My kids like to play Headbanz. I got a game from a parent and then made my own cards with the works. Instead of asking questions the kids describe the word to the kids head and try to get them to guess it.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a vocab word of the week that we do a study on - what does it mean, where have I heard it before, what connections can I make, and we try to use that word as often as we can. For example if the word is 'probability' I will try to drop into as many things as I can. E.g. what is the probability of us solving this in under 1 minute. What is the probability of me making it through the day on one coffee (universal agreement that the probability is zero!) We get a bit silly with it, but it is fun. Its amazing how creative the kids get with slipping it into sentences. Its like a challenge - with the only reward being our admiration at their skill for incorporating it.

The other thing I do that made a huge difference is have a maths picture that relates to our learning. For example a picture of a broken ruler for measurement. We write statements about it (using maths vocab) and it is directed by me. I can't remember all the questions on my list, but some are; What do you see, what problems can you solve with this, what questions can you ask, what do you wonder, this is different from, what connections can you make...At the start of the year they are pretty basic, but by the end they are really detailed and using words they have learned.

Freyers word study model is the other one if you just want a quick one off lesson on words.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote