Help

BusyBoard

How to a Handle?

>

PinkSparkle9

How to a Handle?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was at a professional development after school last week. My principal mentioned how he likes to get books to give to the students. I know this really great program Iíve used twice that donated books to schools. I told my new principal (got a new job last month). He told me to give him the info.

That said, I emailed him the other day with the info. and how you can either get the books yourself or pay about $10 to have them shipped to the school. He emailed me back asking if I could get the books on one of those afternoons thatís a half day for conferences in Dec. I have to be at work on those early dismissal days then but donít have conferences. I told him Iíd get back to him depending on my schedule. I asked how many books he wanted. He didnít get back to me.

The place is over 50 mins away. I donít think itís fair to have to get the books. I have no problem filling out the book request but donít want to go to get the books. The place is about the same distance from my house too.

My coworker said he should be handling this not me and to tell him to pay the $10 to have them shipped.

For my last job I wanted to get books for my class of autistic kids and I told my supervisor to make sure it was ok. She ended up asking me to get books for all the kids in the program (5 classes worth). It took me forever to pick out books and then bring them in the building.

You try to tell someone a nice idea but then get taken advantage of. How would you handle this?

PinkSparkle9 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So youíd be doing that instead of being at work? Iíd go. If he was asking you to go on your own personal time that would be different. I would think of it as a nice ride, a chance to get out of school, and a chance to do something for school.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it's during work hours, I'd definitely go. I'd jump at the opportunity to get out of the building, go for a drive, and do a favor for my new P. This is kind of how things happen....sometimes when you have a good idea, you are the one that gets "stuck" implementing it. I'd love the diversion in my day quiet honestly, and if that's how P is telling you to spend your working hours, I don't think it looks good to say no.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

PurplePeacock

Books
Old 11-02-2017, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Go get the books! You had a great idea and shared it with your administrator. He recognized your interest and is giving you an opportunity to make something great happen for kids. If heís allowing you to go during school hours, thatís even better.

Rule #1 of being a teacher...the job never ends when the bell rings. I canít begin to tell you how many times Iíve stayed after school, traveled to pick up free materials, bought groceries for a mom having a hard time, bought winter coats, gloves and hats, the list goes on and on. As teachers, we donít do it because we have to, we do it because we care about our students and want whatís best for them.
PurplePeacock is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

When for any reason
Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

a faculty member had to drive anywhere at the request of the school the Board of Education had a form and paid out a certain amount of money per mile to the teacher. I think you should check and see if your new district does this too.

If I had a principal ask me to do this instead of being in the building I would do it. If it is a lot of books, maybe another teacher who doesn't have conferences could be assigned to go with you. I always rather go with someone than alone.

funkster is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-02-2017, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think you're being taken advantage of at all. The P knows you don't have conferences and that is a good time for you to run the errand. He is allocating resources (in this case, people and time) to accomplish a goal. This is a good opportunity to do a favor for your P. It's during contract hours. Or, spend the $10 yourself and have them shipped.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-02-2017, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is there someone who could maybe go with you? A little bonding time?

Take a rolling cart so you don't have to heft them and carry them far.

I would love to do an errand that took me out of school.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 11-02-2017, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I donít think itís fair to have to get the books.
Rule #2 Your work life will simply never be fair. Some will do more work than you, some less. Some will get special favors from the administration, some will be openly disliked.

Your administrator sees you as someone with a great new idea. Now you get to be that person. As far as extreme work expectations go, this isn't a big deal at all. Declining to follow through on this idea might reflect poorly on you.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I can't believe this is even an issue. Go! It's during your work hours, so it's not like he's asking you to go after work. I'm sure there are people at the place that can help you load the books and when you get back get a cart or ask others to help.

By the way, what is this program? Is it open to all? Please post info.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 11-02-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't understand the issue. I've been asked to do things like go and pick up text books from a city almost 2 hours away during my contract classroom prep time at the end of the summer. (It was cheaper to pay me to do it than to pay for shipping.) The school paid for a full tank of gas, lunch while I was on the road, and gave me $50 to buy decorations and supplies I wanted for my room. It was nice to get away for the afternoon and focus my thoughts for the following few weeks. I got a free meal and cute classroom decorations for my trouble. I brought a friend who had that day off from work and we had fun talking and listening to music together.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-02-2017, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would ask about gas mileage reimbursement. If it's there, I'd definitely go. Almost 2 hour drive is a lot if you're paying out of pocket for gas. That aside, I'd love to go.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Go!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Go!

Any excuse on company time is great for getting out of Dodge.

I always kept my eyes out for a better offer. The person you meet at another place maybe be able to springboard you to a better job.

I got last teaching job because latch key COMMANDED me to get supplies at a craft store. I had to do this before work, on my own gas which made be triple crampy.

Met a person who worked at the school while looking at origami paper. One thing lead to another, and in 3 month I was hired. The person put in a good word for me.

I agree with all the other PP reasons why you should do it, but hustling/looking for better options is always high in my book.

At least he's not asking you to bring his car in to get detailed, and having you drive him home. (Don't ask) lol..
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

books
Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am sure that once I got there the line would be so long and there would be so many books to choose that it would take longer then anticipated. OR it went quickly and I would have enough time to stop for lunch.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 11-02-2017, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

As previous posters suggested, please get the books. You just got the job and you don't want to look bad in the eyes of the administration. Getting the books as the principal asked will be viewed as positive. It's during school time, so use it as a opportunity to get away.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

Books
Old 11-02-2017, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'd jump all over that! Go get the books, and bring a buddy along for the ride. Can you share the name of the organization here? I'll bet others would love to order!!
stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Books
Old 11-02-2017, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Kindness and generosity are good traits to cultivate. Go get the books for the children with a smile on your face.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would personally just pay the $10. I hate driving, and wouldn't like if I was asked to do this either. That might be because I drive an hour each way to work.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-03-2017, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I really don't think he is taking advantage of you! If my principal told me I could go book shopping instead of staying at school on a 1/2 day, I would be all over that!

I think the P is trying to make your idea happen and involving you in the process.

I agree with others... not sure why this would be an issue!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Book Donations
Old 11-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
My principal mentioned how he likes to get books to give to the students. I know this really great program Iíve used twice that donated books to schools.
Sounds great! What is the name of this awesome program? How does a school get books from them?
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

HiHoCherryO

Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is a new job? He values your idea. Show him what an asset to his corporation you are. Have a good attitude. It's a nice thing to do.

I wouldn't think twice about going and getting them. I might have a friend go with me though. I also wouldn't ask for any kind of reimbursement.
HiHoCherryO is offline   Reply With Quote