Help

BusyBoard

Lunch and recess opinion

>

bookbadger

Lunch and recess opinion
Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have experience with having students go to noon recess first and then eat lunch after recess?

What are your thoughts? Is it helpful?

What grade level of students?

Do you know of any "research results" about this practice?

bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did it at one of my schools and LOVED it. It's amazing how quickly they can get their act together when it's cutting into their recess time.

More importantly, they didn't come back to class all wound up, I didn't deal with after recess drama because it was over and done with by the time they got back to me and it was easier to keep them in for recess detention (I know not everyone does this, but if you do, it's a real plus).

I highly recommend it.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do and it works fine. I can't say I've seen any differences in afternoon behavior (good or bad).

The one part that I find "creepy" is how do they wash their hands before they eat. I live in a place where they have gloves on 6 months of the year. So if they play outside they don't really get a chance to get out of the gloves and wash before eating. However we know how great of a job kids do washing their hands anyway! My solution (though I know it is not approved by the state department) is to use a bit of hand sanitizer.

I would not hold back from doing it for any reason.
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

yes
Old 11-02-2017, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We did recess at our school that way for years in our K-6 building. I loved it! Kids were able to focus on eating lunch and playground issues had dissolved by the time we picked them up. We used hand sanitizer to clean up after playing.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

I guess I'm in the minority
Old 11-02-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some schools in our district do this, so our school tried it, too -- especially when we saw students throwing away most of their lunch because they wanted to rush to recess.

We tried it for a year (k-5 school) and we all agreed to go back to lunch first. We found the kids were actually more wound up collecting them right after they ate. We had kids coming late to class because they ate slowly and needed to finish. I have to admit I was surprised, it was a great idea in theory -- but it didn't work for us.

Last edited by Gogogo; 11-02-2017 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Gogogo is online now   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have recess first then lunch. That had stopped kids to throwing away their whole lunch to get out sooner. It seems to work for us.
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 11-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love it! First year I taught, they had lunch and then recess and it was so annoying having to wait for all of the students to get water and they were all excited and sweaty. Felt like it took a long time to cool down and get busy. Now the kids get all of their energy out, eat, and are ready to get back to work relatively quickly. I would never want to change it! I also have the option at my school to send students out for extra recess so I do that frequently.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

we did this for a couple years (1 or 2???? a while back) after our forward-thinking, always looking for the next thing principal did a lot of research.

kids actually ate their lunches--there were BAGS less of food waste.

they didn't bring recess issues into the classroom.

i don't remember what we did about hand washing. (certainly you could have hand sanitizer available--i know, not the same--for them to use as they came in.)

i don't recall having a school-wide decision as to wanting to change it back--we got a new principal and it just happened.

i brought it up the other day because some of my students are not eating and racing out to recess (and our new lunchroom supervisor is letting them leave , allowing for too many people on the playground, and the new playground supervisor is probably too new to say anything) one day, some of my students were leaving the lunchroom before my teaching partner's kids had even gotten through the lunch line!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our school schedules their specials (art, music, PE, guidance, media) right before or right after lunch. The special teacher either picks them up from lunch or delivers them to lunch. This way the classroom teachers get 60 minutes of uninterrupted time.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote