Help

The Job Search

Teach for America

>

Nolite

Teach for America
Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but it seemed the most logical! I'm finishing up a few liberal arts credits I need before starting my MAT program in the Spring. I'm 43, and a career changer. I do have a bachelor's in business administration (my background is sales management). I just finished reading a book about the history of teaching in America, which got me thinking about Teach for America again - it has several pros and cons, and some of the cons are real deal breakers. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the program and might be able to answer some questions for me that I couldn't find the answers to online.

First - at 43, would I be the grandma in the group? How common are older people in this organization?

Second - how flexible are assignments? The area I live in is one that has a teacher shortage, and one that TFA places teachers in. My husband and I have roots in this community; our older son lives nearby, our younger son will be starting high school next year, and my husband has a great job in the area. Not to mention, all the teachers in my family and among my friends are here, which is a support network I will rely on heavily! I have absolutely no issue with a commute to another district, but I do not want to be placed in a school that would require a move. How much say would I have over that as a TFA teacher?

TIA for any insight you can offer!

-J

Nolite is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not sure why you would join Teach for America if you are in an area where there is a teacher shortage, and would likely be able to get a job without them where you live.

I am in an area where people who are in TFA are no doubt placed-- low income and begging for teachers. You can get a job here if you are just starting a teacher's program. In other words, teaching, and getting teaching pay while still in school.

Check to see what you can do with an "intern license" in your area.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote