Your child needs to be responsible. I can only do so much. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Your child needs to be responsible. I can only do so much.

>

Savvy

Your child needs to be responsible. I can only do so much.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What I've learned this morning is that I'm supposed to be looking through students' backpacks to take out their materials, not holding students accountable for their actions by lowering their conduct grade, and making exceptions for students who don't do their work. TGIF

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My response to this: Sorry. Not my job. Students need to become independent thinkers and doers. I can remind for a little while, but then Iím done. I refuse to be a nag and take on the jobs of students.

We have so much to do in a day. Our job is to build independence and not support dependent behavior.

I hope you find a way to deflect the responsibility back to the students.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-03-2017, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Kids are never going to be able to become responsible, independent adults when coddled this much growing up.

I did check folders when my students were first graders, but even then I asked them to take things out of folders and turn them in.

I NEVER check my 3rd grader's folders. It is their job, not mine. I do once in a while have an issue with someone who can't remember to turn things in, but then we work on strategies to help them. It doesn't just come to me to do it.

I wouldn't even consider checking backpacks, nor would I do it. If it came to that, I would have a whole class procedure where they all stood like little soldiers with them unzipped to show me they had done what they were supposed to do. Fight fire with fire. Put it back on them.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Independence
Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I most definitely do expect my students to do these things for themselves. I do remind them since they are lower elementary, but I've heard from a few parents this week that think I should coddle their children. I'm not doing it! As a matter of fact, one just told me that he didn't know that his child had to take things out of their own backpack.

Mrs. S.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Savvy, don't you just want to ask that parent to volunteer to check backpacks each day for you?? While she's doing that, she should call every parent whose child brings toys and let them know that school rules don't allow toys.

You know, like we do, in the 5 minutes we have between the bell ringing and instructional time starting.

Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Mrs. S
Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I'll have the volunteer come in for arrival and dismissal. If they are going to check backpacks, they should go ahead and pack them up at the end of the day. They can also insert all papers from the office into their daily folders.

TAOEP

Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

And zip jackets, make sure the kids are WEARING their hats and mittens--and their shoes are tied.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-04-2017, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
As a matter of fact, one just told me that he didn't know that his child had to take things out of their own backpack.
I get texts about this all the time! "I put such and such form in my kid's backpack yesterday and it's still in his backpack. Why didn't you get it?"

Um, because your kid didn't give it to me? They really and truly think I check 20 some backpacks every day, just hoping there's something important in there for me.

I have a parent who carries his child into class and then dad puts her backpack on the hook, takes her lunch box out, etc.

You have one Kindergartner. I have 21.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-04-2017, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I still tell 3rd Grade parents that their child should be putting things in their backpacks. Then, they know there is something in there to take out. At the beginning of the year I can't tell you how many parents have their hands in the bags starting to unpack them. Ummm, parent, you can go now. You got your child to school, now leave them to it.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Zia
Old 11-04-2017, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's so good to read that another kindergarten teacher does not check bags regularly. I remind them as they come in to put any notes etc. in the basket by the cubbies. I don't have time to check 20+ bags every day.

imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I can relate....
Old 11-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been asked several times, " Didn't you get my note?" Supposedly it was in the kid's folder in the backpack too. My all time favorite is the parent who comes in and cleans their kid's desks out for them! What are they thinking? My kids are a bit older too! Our school allows parents to have pretty much free reign of the building.....Then we wonder why kids are not responsible for their stuff. GRRRRRRRR
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Problem
Old 11-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I see that this problem is a common one. Sad sad sad

Mrs. S.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This brings to mind my 2nd year teaching. I had a parent come in to sharpen her child's pencil in our manual sharpener! I was wondering what in the world she was doing. I finally had to tell her that was his responsibility. (1st grade) She was also the parent who asked me when he would get to be line leader.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote