Help

The Job Search

Possible New Job?

>

NerdTeach

Possible New Job?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been thinking for a couple of months now about possibly changing careers. This will be my fifth year as a classroom teacher, and I just feel so burned out. I love teaching, and I believe I am skilled at it; I just don't know if I really feel passionate about it anymore.

I currently work at a private Christian school. The students are wonderful, and the parents are supportive. I have small class sizes, and I have autonomy over how I teach and manage my classroom. I feel like I am living the dream as far as teaching jobs go. And I still feel restless. I am wondering if it is because of the financial insecurity that teaching at this school gives. I only make $20K a year, and I have to work one part time job and tutor on the side. This is mainly because of student loans (which will be paid off in May) and healthcare costs (because my school does not offer any benefits at all).

A job posted at the local University for a clerk typist...basically I would be doing a lot of clerical work and editing/creating documents. The job pays almost $30K a year, and would offer health benefits, possibly education benefits for my kids, and would only be about an extra five minutes on my commute.

And a woman who has been an educator for ~20 years came through my checkout yesterday. We were chatting and she said to strongly consider other career opportunities because of the way education is really going downhill. Maybe this was a sign?

I just wanted to bounce the idea off of other educators so I could really think this out. Thanks in advance!

NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am pretty shocked at your current teaching income. $20K per year after 5 years is really terrible. Have you considered teaching at a public school? They would pay a lot more than what you are currently making, and then you wouldn't need to tutor or work extra part time jobs.

If you truly feel burned out from teaching and have no desire to teach anywhere else, then yes, I think a nice office job at a university would be a good one to go for.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 11-06-2017, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been trying to get into the public schools in my area for three years. I live in a very tough market.

When I graduated from the university (the same one that posted this job), I moved to the Washington DC area to teach there for two years.

I got married and moved back here to Western PA, and I have struggled to find anything in a public school. There are only about 12 schools in the surrounding 30-40 minute radius, and each of those has about 3 math teachers. So the probability of finding a job at a public school here is not good, unless I can wait it out. And I am not sure if that's something I can do financially.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If that is the case, you should go for the higher paid job. Living in an area where there is a glut of qualified workers is really a way not to get hired, and not to find a job. Competition is one thing, but totally being locked out is another thing. Although teachers tend to be self-sacrificers, it is necessary to do the best thing for yourself and your own family, rather than have any loyalty to a field which has no loyalty to you.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote