Help

The VENT

Some Admins

>

Angelo

Some Admins
Old 11-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I suppose there are people like this in every profession. People who find new and creative ways to avoid doing their jobs. But man... some Admins have this down to a science. They’ve somehow managed to frame not doing their jobs in lofty, self-righteous terms like “empowering teachers” and “progressive intervention” and so on.

I’m sure many of you work with Admins like this. You know the type. One of our APs is terrible for interpreting an attempt to hand something off to him as a request for advice. He acts kind of oblivious about it, but I think he knows exactly what he’s doing.

Teacher: I explained to this parent about the deadline several times, but she says the situation is exceptional and she wants to speak to an administrator about it.
Admin: Exceptional? How?
Teacher: There’s some sort of medical situation, but she wants to speak to an Admin about the details.
Admin: That doesn’t make sense. Even if there is a medical issue, that wouldn’t change the deadline.
Teacher: Well, in any case, she wants to speak to an admin-
Admin: Well, what I think you should do is call her back and explain the policy. Just clarify the fact that these dates were known and agreed to in August.
Teacher: Yes, I’ve already explained that to her. She’s requested to speak to an admin.
Admin: Yeah, that’s fine, but then I’m just going to give her the same information you are.
Teacher: I understand that. But she has asked to speak to you. She says there’s more to the situation but she wants to talk to you directly about it.
Admin: Well... that makes no sense. What would she have to tell me that she hasn’t already told you?
Teacher: I don’t know. That’s the point. She wants to speak to you.
Admin: Okay, well, what I’d like you to do is to call her back and get more information. Let me know what she says.
Teacher: So you’re not going to call her?
Admin: Look... you have the relationship with her. I think it’s better if she can work it out with you. If you run into trouble, let me know.

Have you ever wanted to say, “Just pick up the frigging phone and do your job!”

A colleague once had an encounter where she wrote a parent’s contact information on a memo paper and attempted to hand it to the Admin. He refused to extend his arm to take the paper she was trying to hand him and actually took a half step back, all the while offering advice on what she, the teacher, should say to the parent when she called back. She ended up placing the paper on his desk and saying, “Well, she’s waiting to hear from you” before walking out of the office.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Dear Parent, If you want to speak to an administrator you need to pick up the phone and call them or schedule a conference with them. This is the number you need to use to do this.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Who Can Top This?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Long ago, when I was working towards an administrative services credential, I discovered something about the AP who was serving as my supervisor. Several times when I needed to talk to him, I noticed that he was nowhere to be found - his sweater was draped neatly over the back of his desk chair which indicated he was on campus. I eventually learned that this AP was a realtor and often goes out to sell houses during the school day! No wonder I had such a difficult time finding him. Can you top this? (Of course, I switched supervisors when I found this out.)
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Yes, but...
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The trouble at many schools these days is that it’s very difficult even for a parent to get through to an admin. Even calls to the main office get funneled through the secretary who tends to run interference. Another favourite trick of the AP I mentioned is to forward voicemail messages from parents (he typically lets the phone ring through to voicemail if it’s an outside caller) to other staff members. Even the secretary has been trained to ask, “What is this regarding?” and the forward the parent to someone other than the AP. If a parent miraculously gets through to him, he typically says, “Have you spoken to so-and-so about this?” and then punts the call. It’s brutal.

It’s also fairly embarrassing to tell a parent who asks to speak to Admin to call directly because the Admin won’t take the referral from a teacher.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I'd be devious, maybe
Old 11-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd like to think I'd do it, but I could possibly chicken out.

After obtaining the parent's email address, I'd send an email to the administrator in question, passing along the parent's request, and CC the parent on the email.

Then step away from the computer (fast)

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

if I were the parent
Old 11-03-2017, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would've just tried to set up the appointment to see an admin after speaking with their teacher. Easy peasy.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In elementary, it is too easy for parents to get to admin. I wish admin would ask them if they have spoken to the teacher about the situation. We could avoid so many problems!!

Oh, but in your case, I would just give the parent the admin email. Out of my hands, no longer my problem. I love what your colleague did. I'm not sure I'd be that bold but we also have someone in our building who avoids doing his job. I have no problem giving parents his email.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

So different here
Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Parents have easy access to the P and he may or may not support the teacher.
In your case, it is the parents job to get a hold of admin if they want to complain about special circumstances. If they can't reach admin, I would not waste my time. That is 1 trick, I have never seen...lol I have seen lots of others though!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 11-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Most schools have websites which include a list of staff with their contact information. I would think in most cases that parents would be able to go to the website and get the information.

I think it is terrible that some administrators blatantly ignore and avoid parent emails or phone calls. I can’t imagine that their bosses upstairs would look too kindly to that.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote