Kindergarten

When admin knows nothing about kinders

>

Sbkangas5

When admin knows nothing about kinders
Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This just kills me.

I have to be observed 1-3 times per year because I'm technically a temporary employee (long story). Because observations always happen at the same time of year my admin has seen me do the same lessons a lot! Both last year and this year I was observed teaching a small group during our center time.

Last year: "You need more rigor in your independent activities." The one that was pointed out to me? The kids were being asked to write 4 complete sentences on their own in their ABC journal. Way too hard for 90% of them at this time of year but we spend all year working on it.

This year: "It seems that some of the independent centers were too difficult for your students." The activity noticed this time? They had to glue 5 paper pumpkins onto a sentence strip, number them 1-5, and glue that many seeds on the pumpkin. There was an example to copy. Pretty easy for 75% of them.

ETA: The admin that did both of these observations has actually taught kinder!

Last edited by Sbkangas5; 11-04-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 11-03-2017, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's understandable that not all admins would have experience with kinder but it's frustrating when they don't know what's developmentally appropriate for them.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are "never good enough". Your admin has to justify his job so they go around, do observations and point out "wrong stuff" in classrooms. Temporary ,permanent...does not matter. He must justify his job.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This bugged me so much when I worked at a K-5 building. I lost points in an evaluation because the noise level went up when they partner read. I asked if if they were on task, and he said yes but it got to loud. The next year I was observed I taught a lesson in the morning that went very smoothly even though I was battling with food poisoning. He sent me home after it and thought since he observed the morning lesson, it would be totally easy for him to teach it to the afternoon class. Let's just say it wasn't as easy as it looked. I got a great evaluation that year!
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Yes
Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Observations can be a joke now a days, especially if you don't have a great admin. I actually did the same lesson 3 years in a row. Always have to be observed in November, it has to be Language arts, and it has to be the provided curriculum. So, yes, they got to see the same lesson 3 times. One year, it was one principal. The next year, it was our new principal. The last year, it was our assistant principal. She had the nerve to write that I needed to use equity sticks to call on students. For what? That wasn't what the lesson was about at all. I went to my union person to ask how to address this in the feedback. The union person told me she wrote the same comment in everyone's evaluation, and that she was seeing how to approach it, because it didn't apply to many people's lesson formats. Last year was the worst year for observations using Marzano. It was horrid. I used to think evaluations could make me a better teacher. I think now I learn more when I work with my colleagues. We go watch each other teach and help each other solve our issues. Let me pick what I want to improve on, do the research, and solve it to my ability.

SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote