Help

ESL/LEP

Teaching an esl adult

>

callen82

Teaching an esl adult
Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am brand new to teaching an ESL student. I just started teaching an adult who is fairly new to the states. She is from Brazil and has only been in the USA for a little over 2 months. During our last lesson, she told me I'm the only person she speaks to in English besides the ESL lessons she goes to at a local church. Where would you start? Do you have any tips? I have learned all about the SIOP model and have been trying to apply it to what we are talking about but am falling short in finding topics to base our lessons on. Thank you!

callen82 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

This might help
Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it's a link to some previous posts
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=588782

Would something like Weekly Reader or other weekly elementary aimed publication give you a jumping off point for discussion? It may seem a bit childish, but if her reading comprehension in English is low it may give a reasonable starting place. You'd do a vocabulary review before reading, of course.

She might be able to tell you the two most difficult places to use her English and you could review basic vocabulary and sentence structure together. I'm thinking grocery store and someplace else she frequents, but the choices would be up to her.

You may be able to identify some cognates in Portuguese and English--words that sound similar and mean the same. Some that sound similar and have different meanings can be a problem, however, especially given slang.

Most people encountering a new language enter a silent period where they are trying to figure out where one word ends and the next begins as they listen. Individual words are difficult to isolate in an unfamiliar language stream. The silent period can last for months until the person begins to feel somewhat comfortable with the new language.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote