What else can I say to make you understand? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

What else can I say to make you understand?

>

Star-Gazer

What else can I say to make you understand?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I was sitting on the floor of my van by the sliding door while waiting for my mom and her friend to finish shopping. My dog was sitting on the seat and we were just watching the world go by. A car drove up with a man and woman in it. The man got our first and I noticed him watching us. After a while he asked if I needed any help and I said no that I was just waiting on my family. My dog had been watching him and she started to growl. I told her it was okay and she settled down. The woman was out of the car but nthen and the man started to walk closer to my van. My dog started growling again and Imtold him that she had been raised by women and didn't like men. I have my hand on her to make sure that she stays calm. The man stops walking toward us and starts to turn around to leave. My dog quiets down and then he turns back around and starts to walk towards us again while holding his hand out to her and talking to her. At that time I put my hand on her muzzle because she was getting very upset and tell the man no. (Yes, I used my teacher voice.). The man stops and turns and walks away. How many different ways do I have to explain to you that my dog does not trust strange men. If you are introduced properly she is fine, but she doesn't like strange men walking up to us.

Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Your dog
Old 11-04-2017, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Was right to distrust that man who acted like a fool deliberately going up to a strange dog even after he had been warned not to do so. His actions were intrusive, to say the least. Kudos to your dog for being protective of you and your van!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

I was very proud of her
Old 11-05-2017, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She is actually very timid, but she takes her job as guardian very seriously.

blueskies96

Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes he clearly did not want to listen. I have a guardian the same way with anyone who approaches her she doesn't know. She also refuses to accept treats from the UPS lady, and I've asked her NOT to offer her treats.
It has to be on the dog's terms. Some people can't accept that! You have a good dog.
blueskies96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If she had bitten him he would have blamed her.

LuBelle

Ugg!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Anyone who has/had a dog knows that they are very protective of their vehicle domains. It drives me crazy when people come up to the car window to pet our cute mini dachshunds, who will bite their fingers off if they have the chance when they are guarding the car. Just write that guy off as inconsiderate and canine ignorant. Your doggy was just doing her job.
But that is one of my big pet peeves. Our dogs were rescues who were severely abused as puppies. One of them has a broken tail. Her sister is always insecure. They only love and trust our family members. When people come to our house we tell them to ignore the dogs. Don't try to pet them, just ignore them and they will eventually settle down. Simple request. But no one can do that. "Ohhh but they are so cute! I've never known a dog that doesn't like me. " Or "I want the challenge of being able to pet them." It never ends well. The dogs do not like seeing the hand of a stranger coming toward them. We love them dearly, but I echo your sentiments. Why don't people listen??
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You have a great dog! Good for you for using that teacher voice! He needed it!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good doggie.

And what a scary experience. The man is just plain stupid to push himself on a strange dog who is not taking to him.
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

guardian
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Some people think they are dog whisperers and can make any dog their friend. I know somebody like that. I bet the guy was like that, and felt that he was being embarrassed by some silly dog. He was going to show you. Ugh.

I never had problems with strangers approaching me when I used to have my Doberman with me. They didn't know what a sweetheart my Zeus was but they weren't about to try and find out, especially when Zeus was smiling.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 11-18-2017, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good for you dog!! That man sounded creepy. He deserved to be chased off!

teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote