Subbed for a kindergarten teacher and the had a sub for the assistant also! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbed for a kindergarten teacher and the had a sub for the assistant also!

>

Kailey123

Subbed for a kindergarten teacher and the had a sub for the assistant also!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was annoyed at the teacher because when she asked me to do Friday and Monday she didn't tell me that her assistant was also going to be out on Friday. omg... We ALL know that there are some bad subs out there. I hear the stories all the time. (I don't understand why they don't get banned, but that's another thread...)

Anyway, I was dreading Friday because I had no idea who was coming to sub for the assistant.
I've been in this class enough to know the routines, and it's at the one school where I sub regularly. But I was hoping at least for a sub who would do what I told him/her. It would have been nice to have one with initiative but I'd take "does what asked" even if I couldn't have initiative. Otherwise it would have been easier just to do the day by myself.

Well -- I GOT LUCKY!! The woman who showed up was a 5th grade teacher in another county,
before she went overseas with her husband. She taught in an international school while overseas. Now she has two young children and is subbing occasionally so she can check out various schools in this county in anticipation of looking for a job in a few years when her youngest starts kindergarten.

It was a WONDERFUL day. She and I thought alike on worksheets, i.e., we hate them. So we did the science lesson at the end of the day but eliminated the worksheet and instead took them outside early for afternoon recess. We had a good time at lunch talking about our dislike of standardized testing, and she told me about teaching in Hong Kong and I told her about teaching in Burkina Faso. And the kids liked her and she even managed to learn most names.

Whew. Dodged a bullet on that one. You'd better believe I went straight to the woman in the office whose job it is to keep track of subs and told her to put this woman on her short list.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-05-2017, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am glad you had a good day, but this rather annoys me...

Quote:
So we did the science lesson at the end of the day but eliminated the worksheet and instead took them outside early for afternoon recess.
. Especially when I have a sub, this is the accountability piece that I need from my students. Like them or not, students now are tested (and tested and tested) and that is part of my evaluation. They need to be responsible for knowing the material. As a sub, that really isn't your call to make.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

keep your flexibility
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And what if the regular EA was someone you couldn't get along with? This business is so full of surprises. Keep on keeping on.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 11-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't worry, they have totally mastered that particular lesson. And yes, it was my call to make since the plans said "I've left a worksheet if you have time" or something like that. -- And, does your district really do assessment test in science and social studies for kindergarten? omg, we've lost our minds about this testing stuff.

And, since this is the only school where I sub I know the regular assistant very well. I love subbing with her. I will be tomorrow in fact because the teacher is still out.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Glad this all worked out for you. I hope the teacher and assistant appreciate the new sub team and request you to work together in the future

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Last week
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I subbed for a 7th grade science teacher who has aides/ELL teacher in 3 of her classes. Things went fine in all classes. But I found myself (during plan period) messaging the classroom teacher that I really wanted "A's" job. She sat on one side of the room doing the worksheet (I could have given her the key, but didn't) and then reading a novel while her ONE student sat at the other side of the room trying to do the work. I gave him lots of attention, and he nearly finished the work. She's been there for 17 years, and is a shipwreck....one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, but not too bright. I was just happy she wasn't scolding him or other students from across the room like she is known to do. It's always good when an assistant and teacher think alike and work well together, though.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote