Help

Retired Teachers

My 12 yr old granddaughter believes

>

Catdog12

My 12 yr old granddaughter believes
Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

completely in Santa Claus. She is 12 and a 6th grader. We had this conversation this afternoon about Santa. She knows she can and does talk to me about anything.

She point blank asked me if Santa was real or if parents gave the gifts. I asked her what she thought. She says she believes there is a real Santa. Who else would eat those cookies at 3 am? She says her friends insist that there is no Santa.

I told her to believe what she wants to believe. Change the subject or walk away if friends say differently.

Is she just hanging on to childhood? She understands about the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, but she can't give up on Santa.

Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

She is in Denial
Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She wants to still believe. Allow her another year. Why not?
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always told the kids if you don't believe he won't bring you any gifts. I guess that's why at 24 & 26 they still believe. I had 3rd graders who would start to tell each other. I hated that. Let them believe as long as they do.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Wait! What? There's no Santa? Noooo!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Actually, my parents never encouraged us to believe in Santa. We always knew all our gifts were from our parents. We still had a tree, but my father always said he didn't want us to question the existence of God so he didn't want us to be confused. My mother says she still remembers how disappointed she was as a child when she found out the truth. That being said, if your grand wants to believe in Santa I think it's fine. Some adult people believe lots of things that appear to be untrue these days, so it's not like she will be the only one, right?
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Santa
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my humble opinion, but I would worry about the cruelty of her friends. I know what 12-year old girls are capable of. My older granddaughter trusts me fully and tells me things she doesn't tell her parents, knowing I will keep it to myself (unless it would endanger her, of course). I would not want to lose that trust by not telling her the truth.

I must have been about 7 when I realized that Santa was not real. I was not disappointed and just accepted it as such. When I told my mother she was very upset with me. At the time I could not understand why she would be so mad. I look back at it now and I think the magic of the season was more for her than for me. She needed me to stay innocent and not grow up as fast as she had to when she was a child.

Quote:
Actually, my parents never encouraged us to believe in Santa. We always knew all our gifts were from our parents.
I also did this with my own kids. They would receive a few simple gifts from us, but we went shopping together for gifts for less fortunate children. They were directly involved in choosing, wrapping and boxing the gifts. They learned the joy of giving, and as adults they continue the tradition with my grandkids.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What are you saying, there's no Santa? I still believe but I know he has too many little kids he can't come to my house anymore. I know because he told me.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 11-18-2017, 10:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh blueskies - I love you!! I agree, let her believe while she still can. I suspect she may know deep down inside but is not quite ready to leave that piece of her childhood behind.
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

My dear old dad
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

always said Santa is real. He lives in our hearts. Very often I've repeated that to students. The jingle bell in The Polar Express always reminded of my dad and his philosophy. I always got a bit choked up reading that part to the class.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote