Help

The VENT

Got in trouble for following procedures

>

Kishkumen

Got in trouble for following procedures
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school has a discipline procedure in place. All students who need a lunch detention or other action have a "minor slip" that covers everything from talking in class, minor physical contact, wandering classroom, etc. Copies are mailed to principal and someone who records all incidents and assigns detention dates. After the 3rd one in a quarter, the admin is supposed to intervene. After the 4th one, the kid has an in-school suspension or other deal.

I have a lot of repeat offenders, who talk in class, get out of their seats, socialize with the people behind them instead of working. My classroom procedure goes like this:
•gently remind the student to pay atttention
•when that doesn't work, I pause the lesson and wait for the student to stop talking
•When the problem happens again, I give another verbal reminder and clip the student down (my clip chart is mainly so I can remember how many times I've had to talk to each student)
•When that doesn't work, I'll give a one-on-one conference with the student, where he admits what he did was not appropriate
•When that doesn't work, I'll warn the student and clip the student down again
•When that doesn't work, I'll hold an informal lunch detention in my classroom
•When that doesn't work, I'll write a minor slip for the student and contact parents
•If the student is still disruptive I'll send him to one of the two buddy rooms available unless they're having lunch at that time

Even though the minor slips are the "last resort", I'll end up writing several a week, often three or four each day.

A couple of my students have gotten to eight minor slips in the first two weeks of this quarter. The same students got to seven or eight last quarter. Nothing was mentioned to me about admin getting involved.

Today I got an e-mail stating that one student was scheduled for detention. I was assuming this happened automatically and they just were not informing me. It now appears that these minor slips and requests for detention have been ignored.

Also today, my principal e-mailed me that I'm sending out way too many minor slips. Should I stop trying to enforce my classroom expectations? I should have written another two today, in fact. The same students are not changing their behavior, so the minor slip system is apparently ineffective.

Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just curious...what grade to you teach?

Quote:
Should I stop trying to enforce my classroom expectations? I should have written another two today, in fact. The same students are not changing their behavior, so the minor slip system is apparently ineffective.
I think you need to find a different method to enforce your classroom management, because you're right: this isn't working!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach third grade. I've know the system doesn't work for 3 years. I'm just waiting for the admin to realize it. I'm also waiting for some other method that will work better. I've tried everything else. Table points, time earned, positive reinforcement, goals to reach, changing seating arrangement, parent phone calls, e-mails, all simply don't work. Other teachers just don't have disruptive students, it seems.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest5512

Guest5512

Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kishkumen - I feel your pain. We are just paper tigers, and the students know it.

Ucan

Too Many Steps
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would go bonkers trying to remember or keep track of which step of my classroom discipline procedure each of my repeat offenders is on. Have you considered asking a teacher who doesn't have disruptive students if you could observe in his/her classroom - you might be able to pick up a few ideas to try with your students. Alternatively, ask the veteran teacher to observe in your room and provide you with suggestions for improving classroom discipline.

Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, there's no way I could remember all those steps.

Quote:
Should I stop trying to enforce my classroom expectations? I should have written another two today, in fact. The same students are not changing their behavior, so the minor slip system is apparently ineffective.
Don't stop expecting your expectations; start enforcing them. I think part of your problem is way too many warnings and no actual consequences that mean anything to the students.

I would also switch to reinforcing desirable behavior, not punishing undesirable behavior. Note that I say "reinforcing," not "rewarding" (or "bribing"). By definition, a reinforcer is something that causes a behavior to repeat. You have to figure out what is actually reinforcing for your students, not just what seems like a good reward to you.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

lovelife07

Old 11-07-2017, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Too many steps for me. I use smart classroom management.com. Simple and to the point. First time a rule is broken it's a warning. Second time lose recess. Third time note to parent (these are already typed and copied. I just check the rule(s) broken and sign.) Fourth time minor infraction. After 4 notes home in a grading period I more quickly give out minor infractions. After 3 minors we do a major.

In my opinion you need less steps. The kids are given too many times to break rules before anything really bad happens. My system may not work for you but maybe a version would suit your needs. Good luck.
lovelife07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-07-2017, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

By my count, it is the seventh offence before you actually reach the point of a "minor slip". That's an awful lot of chances. Realistically, this means that there is a lot more going on before anything actually happens. The kids are playing the odds. I'd give up on the school system, because obviously that's not designed to work, but I would change what I did in the classroom.

Reteach expectations and introduce new system
First offence: Firm warning.
Second offence: Name on board. You spend five minutes of the next playtime with me.
Third offence: Ten minutes of playtime and a reflection sheet (what did I do? What should I have done? What will I do next time?)
Fourth offence: Really? You want to play this game? This is where things get real. In our school, we send them off to Mrs C (our Executive in Charge of Terror). If they get to her, they know they're really in strife. If you don't have such a person at school, this can be a phone call home - I've had a lot of success with calling the parent from the classroom, then handing the phone to Snowflake to explain their actions and what has led up to this. But it needs to be something meaningful that hits them where it hurts and it sounds like you're going to have to decide it and implement it.

Serious offence (property damage or personal injury): Straight to Mrs C, and this will probably lead to a level drop (which has school wide consequences and loss of privileges for a set time) or a suspension depending on the gravity of the offence.

99.9% of stuff never leaves the classroom.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Behavior
Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You're giving them too many chances. They know how long it takes before they get a slip.

Narrow it down to two or three:

Please stop (inappropriate behavior)
I asked you to stop. What's your plan to avoid a consequence?
Your plan isn't working. This is your consequence. Make it heinous for the child, but not for you.

You are right that the detention slips aren't working. P will never see it. Use it only as a last ditch effort, if at all.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Way, way too many chances. Kids get one warning and then a consequence. It’s going to be extremely difficult to change now that you’ve been giving so many consequences, but you can do it if you remain firm. I would keep the “minor slips” for repeated behavior.

Here is what I would do. A kid is up out of his/her seat one warning go back to your seat, child doesn’t listen or does it again child gets a consequence. I like logical consequences so that kid would get an assigned desk. I have open seating and they hate that. When I had assigned desks, I always had a few random desks away from the rest of the class.

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote