Help

The VENT

Fire Marshall, ugh!!

>

eagles23

Fire Marshall, ugh!!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had our 'big' inspection today. I had measured 18" from the ceiling and thought I had enough clearance for all my items on the top shelf in my library (which is really just a big closet) and in my bathroom. Well, apparently you have to measure from the bottom of the sprinkler head, so it is really more like 20". He had the maintenance guy pull everything off the shelves in both rooms and put it on the floor. Now guess who gets to clean it up???!!! What is really frustrating is that both rooms looked just like the last 2 times he was here! It seems he looks for something different every time he comes! Anyone else have a super picky fire marshall???

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was always told that the inspector will ALWAYS find something. Sometimes they have to look harder than other times. Sorry that it was you this time.

It sure would have been nice if they had let people know how the measuring is done. I certainly never heard to measure from the sprinkler head.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ugh, I'm sorry for the added work and frustration! Don't those fire marshals know how hard it is to store everything we need? I hope the re-organization goes quicker and easier than expected.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last time the fire marshall came we had to get rid of all our lamps, curtains, pillows, and now we can't hang anything from the ceiling.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I suspect
Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

that your closet and bathroom are now much more fire safe with a whole bunch of stuff on the floor for folks to stumble over. Couldn't he have just told you?

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

jeanmary

Old 11-07-2017, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Did he pull out a tape measure to check???? Like 2 inches is reallly going to make a big difference. Feel your pain!😞
jeanmary is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The office secretary texts me when the fire marshal shows up and my aide and I have a mad dash to get everything down before he hits my room.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Fire Marshalls
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Fire Marshalls drive me NUTS! There is SOOOO much inconsistency. I've been at schools that couldn't have anything on the shades and other schools where almost every shade has a poster or something taped to it. The most annoying one said that only 20% of our walls could have paper on them. So, by the time we put up (mandatory) "Sound/Spelling" cards, a number line, and another poster or two, we were pretty maxed out unless we had a lot of bulletin boards. Please tell me of ONE school that burned down because there were too many laminated posters or examples of student work on the wall. Ummmm...I really suspect that the 90 year old wiring or old boiler or scraps of paper/pencils students have shoved onto the radiators are posing a greater risk.

And I am always careful to not have anything too close to the emergency exit window, BUT am well aware that if there ever really were a fire and we had to go out the window, the very first thing I would have to do would be to push a desk or table right up to that window cuz how on earth would little first graders climb out a window that's over 3 feet above the floor?
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here:
Nothing can hang from the ceiling.
Nothing can hang on corridor walls unless behind glass.
Rugs must be fire retardant and you must have proof on file.

Fire marshals are strict about corridors as nearby college had a dorm fire that had many injured by burning hall decorations.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here's the list for our school district. According to the fire marshal:
  • Nothing can hang from the ceiling.
  • The tops of shelves need to be empty and have 24" clearance from the ceiling.
  • Only 10% of the wall space can be used to hang items like posters.
  • No fabric backing on bulletin boards
  • No curtains allowed.
  • The only beanbag chairs allowed must have a special fire retardant covering on them and must be able to be wiped down each night.
  • No stuffed animals.
  • Doors cannot be covered (i.e. door decorating contest).
  • Nothing on the windows-not even window clings.

All the rules can be frustrating. Several years ago, after a state inspection (I think it was QSAC), we also had to remove all live plants. (The soil could harbor mold spores.)

When we were switching from a Preschool-Grade 5 to a Preschool-Grade 1 School, we spent a year studying best practices and set up our K classrooms based on K guidelines set up by our state dept of ed. We used short bookshelves to help define different areas in the classroom and displayed student work on the back of the shelves, but then a different dept from the state told us that all bookshelves had to be around the perimeter of the classroom-even short ones. You could not use double-sided bookshelves or even the ones you can see through to the other side. I understand that you would want tall bookshelves anchored to a wall so they don't topple over, but our book shelves are low. I think 24".

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What used to get my craw when I was still teaching is how the Fire Marshall wasn't consistent across district. He was very strict with some schools, including mine, and incredibly lenient at others. When we went to in-services or meetings at other schools, we'd see posters on walls that were nowhere near 18" from the ceiling and items hung from the ceiling.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm surprised they took stuff down! That's annoying. Every time we've seen the fire inspector, he's made up a list of violations and come back in a week to be sure we all corrected them.

Sorry it's so inconsistent!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

At least y'all have sprinklers. My classroom doesn't and I'm pretty sure most of the fire alarms in my school don't work (no matter how many times the technician is here telling us to disregard the alarms during class).
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
No fabric backing on bulletin boards
We were told this one year. People with paper backing on bulletin boards got a pass, though. I have no doubt that fabric can be flammable, but paper is flammable, too, so why is paper allowed?

Very inconsistent.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote