Help

Substitute Teachers

Assignment switched

>

twin2

Assignment switched
Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was pre-scheduled to cover for teachers who had meetings today. I looked forward to an easy, pleasant day. When I got there I was informed they needed me to fill in for a paraprofessional because her substitute would not be able to handle this kid. Of course, she had already been sent to the resource office to cover for me. What could I do? I receive preference because I am usually flexible, and I am a former para at this school so I am trusted in circumstances some substitutes are not. I don't want to jeopardize the relationship I have with the secretary or administration so I accepted the para job for today.

I asked before I accepted the job what they could tell me about the student. "He's a nice little boy. Autistic, non-verbal". When I went to the classroom, I was given the low down. Apparently he had scabies a few weeks ago. I never had any reason to be concerned about scabies in the past, so I was pretty ignorant about it. The teacher told me there were bite sleeves and gloves if I wanted to wear them, that is is a bitter, and will pinch and scratch as well. There was a sensory basket with a chew stick and toys he could mouth, so I assumed that was why there were gloves. Once school started I was advised he would come in later the the arrival time because he and his brother are taken to the nurse, stripped down, fresh clothes put on, book bag and any belongings are put into a trash bag and kept at the nurse's office for the day. Their clothes would be washed and dried, then later I would take him to the nurse again for diapering and he would be changed back into his clothes from home.

I thought from this they are just being careful to be sure the kids are really rid of the scabies. I wore my hair pulled back and the only physical contact with this child was hand holding. I wasn't worried until I took him to the nurse at the end of the day and heard the nurse on the phone trying to get someone else involved in the boys situation. Apparently, if I heard right, the doctor cleared the boys so they had to let them come back to school, but one of them still has a rash from head to toe. I don't know which boy. The nurse feels they still have scabies and was reporting that.

I am furious that I never heard about the scabies until I went into the classroom. I know substitutes are not typically warned of such things prior to accepting the job, and I know for privacy reasons they don't tell subs such things unless there is a reasonable concern for the substitute.

I came home and showered, adding lots of tea tree oil to my coconut oil shampoo, and used that as a body wash as well. I put my clothes and bag into the washer in hot water. I will get over this, but I will ask more questions the next time. I probably will refuse any jobs with these two boys for a little while.

I'm all for doing what's right for the student, but I don't understand why this sub gets to come back if they constantly have to rearrange the subs to accommodate her. I know who she is, and know she isn't a good fit for certain classes or with some students.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

How does this not bother u?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you were initially in as a classroom teacher, you should've stuck it out? For one thing, shouldn't the pay be higher if you're in for a classroom teach? Otherwise, I'm under the impression that regardless of the position that you're for, the per diem rate matters not?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The job was not changed in the system, only in reality. Technically, the other sub was a para today and I was a teacher. This way, the pay remained the same as expected for both of us. Since she was covering for meetings (less than an hour per class covered), she should have had an easy day so they did her a favor with the switch.

Mikhail

would've been fuming
Old 11-07-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ah, okay. Not that I feel self-entitled because I can be a team player too but you know, I got needs too. I understand that there are people that wear many hats. But when it comes to pay right?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh definitely. I do not take para jobs that come through the system, mainly because they pay so much less. Also, I was a para. When I started as a para I was a classroom para helping the teacher meet the needs of all of the students. They eliminated all classroom para positions except in pre-k and made everyone one on one intensive needs para working in full inclusion classrooms. This is not what I signed up for. Plus I am older and some assignments are physically challenging for me. I do not want to be a para and I got my degree so that I could move out of that position. I certainly don't want to sub as a para, especially if it means making less money for the day.

broomrider

since you are well known
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

at the school and they have a relationship with you to protect as well, I'd have a discussion with the principal about the bait and switch or at least about the lack of information you were given about scabies and it's contagion and how to protect yourself.

Being willing to be flexible is one thing, being handed the less desirable jobs as you walk in the door because someone else isn't up to it is quite another. Your willingness to help should be getting rewarded, not punished. (Feel free to use this words or your own similar ones.)

You might include some of your own as well: "This is not what I signed up for. Plus I am older and some assignments are physically challenging for me. I do not want to be a para and I got my degree so that I could move out of that position."

I doubt that a forthright discussion will lead to few jobs there and if it does, have you lost that much if this is their SOP?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have decided that I need to speak up a little more. I can be flexible but not taken advantage of. The thing is, had the biting and possible scabies been disclosed when I was asked to take the job, I probably would have still taken the job when they asked because of the situation. The difference is I would not have felt taken advantage of. I still would have gone home and thrown my clothes into the washer on hot water. I still would have taken a hot shower with tea tree oil.

I saw his para today and she wore a smock over her shirt and the bite sleeves. I could not tell if she wore gloves. The brother's para is depending on good hygiene, but her contact with him isn't as close, except for diapering and changing of clothes. He does not grab or cling to his para like his brother does (older student). It's unfortunate that the nurse feels the kids still have scabies and the doctor disagrees. I am hoping the nurse is wrong since we do not want anyone else to wind up with them (lol self preservation too).

Because of the way it was handled with me, I do not plan to accept any more para jobs. I already do not accept para jobs when they come through the system, so I may remind them of that. Then again, I might say something cheeky like, "It's not a good day for me to be a Para". Thanks for helping me sort out my feelings on this.