Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Is this normal?

>

FLteachESE

Is this normal?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it normal that middle schoolers- 7th and 8th graders do not turn in their work on time. I am at my wit's end trying to get assignments turned in and lord knows they dont care if I take away points until the week before the quarter ends and then they want extra credit. The assignments are given and students must either email me the product or upload it through edmodo where the assignment is given. The reason for the choice, is some home computers havent been able to upload the assignment to edmodo so I tell them to just email me then.

This... this is what is making me hate middle school (I came from elementary).

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't teach middle, but I would think this is perfectly normal behavior. Doesn't mean you need to condone it.

I would think toward the next grading period. I would lay out some expectations, whether they are the ones you started with, or if you need to do some adjusting of them. I would not give extra credit to students who don't turn work in on time if I gave extra credit at all. Maybe extra credit through the period- added to each assignment (an extra problem/essay for extra credit) but none at the end. Why make things harder for yourself? After this grading period they should know whether you mean what you say, or whether they can pump you for extra. They should know they have to turn in assignments.

Good luck. I have similar problems with my 3rd graders. Not that they want extra credit. Just some of them never do anything. I have 10 kids who have given me every recess for a week and a half because they aren't turning things in. At this rate they will be with me all year, and that is not going to work. I need my recess! (Did you hear me laying on the floor kicking and screaming?) .
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

it's not normal
Old 11-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've seen students in middle school that are quite disciplined. In order to get a better return, I heard of teachers finding success by implementing a consequence like 10% taken off per day that something is late. It doesn't work for me because I'm finding hard keeping track of these details! And then I heard of other problems like what if you have a classroom full of students that are just unmotivated? Now what.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Sadly, Normal
Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At my school, we are not "allowed" to take off for late work. Also, we have to accept late work. So of course our students do not understand due dates and deadlines. If I am grading something I have to make a lot of extra copies. Even when we do something IN CLASS there are some no names and other kids who just don't turn it in. I've even had kids turn in blank papers. It is pathetic.

So before I enter the grades into the computer, I go through and grade the assignment. Then, I make a list of kids who have a zero. I then put their names on the 2nd paper and give them time to do it the next class. This is awful, but it is what we have to do. My entire school is like this.

One reason that I try not to put in zeroes is that I will get emails from parents asking why there is a zero. ("Ask your kid!") I really don't have the time to deal with this. If teachers complain, we are told we are there to teach content, not responsibility. Yep, that shows.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

My school
Old 11-10-2017, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At my school we give credit to kids who are actively working in class instead requiring big turn ins of projects or assignments.

We have a homework policy, but most teachers don't give it or give plenty of time to finish it in class.

We have an elective that teaches things like organization and note taking, but it is acknowledged that even those kids are still learning the skills.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We aren't allowed to take off points for late work, so there are some kids who will never turn things in on time because they don't really have any consequence if they don't.

If it is something that they do in class, they are pretty good at getting things turned in. They are absent or have to take it home, the number of missing assignments is large.

And that has been pretty consistent over my entire 25 years in middle school.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Ways Around It
Old 11-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I let my students know on day one that if they don't turn their work in on time three times, I will be contacting home. I have a form I have them fill out and I keep it in their "file." For some reason, this really does motivate some kids. I like that the form (google: pink slip) is in their writing. I can show parents at conferences exactly why they didn't do their work like, "I left early for track and then had hockey until 11:30 pm. I was too tired to do my make up work." Sometimes the kid will just say, "I didn't feel like doing it."

Also, when I do get the late work, I don't grade it easily or quickly. A little taste of their own medicine. I have a "zeroes not acceptable" (or zap) policy. So I might pull kids out of our study hall period to do the work. Too bad if their class was going to the gym or watching a movie. My other threat is that they can do it during lunch. I've never actually had to do that. Oddly, until this year, I never had a kid refuse to try the assignment. This year I have one who won't write or respond verbally to any assignment. I don't think he is in the right placement, so we will see if he makes it through the year.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote