Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

weird thought while driving...

>

elspeech

weird thought while driving...
Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 PM

During the past few weeks on my way to work I have seen at least 3 Silver alerts, along with description and license of car to be looking for. I can't help but wonder, if the missing person sees these signs while driving, do they realize they are the ones that are "missing"?

elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Idk
Old 11-08-2017, 04:07 PM

But I check to make sure it's not me.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 PM

My guess is that most of them probably have dementia or something similar and would not realize its them, some might, but I don't think very many would.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM

This happened to my grandpa! He has Alzheimer's and at the time him not being allowed to drive was really recent (the actual driving wasn't the problem, it's the fact that he would get in the car and forget where he was supposed to go). He's still "with it" in most ways despite having the disease for a really long time- his Dr. says he's never seen anything like it- but his short term memory is really bad. My mom had taken his keys, but the car was still at his house because they were trying to sell it. Unbeknownst to my mom, he had a spare set of keys hidden somewhere else.

My mom goes to his house every evening to give him dinner and his medication. When she showed up that night, he wasn't there. After waiting a bit, she called the police and they put out a silver alert.

He came back about an hour later. He'd seen the sign on the highway and was furious; he wanted to know what "all the fuss was about" as he'd simply gone to the store to get bananas. He had no bananas with him and he'd been gone significantly longer than it takes to go to the store, which is practically right down the street and does not require getting on the highway.

To this day we still don't know what he was actually out doing...of course he can't remember. I guess the sign still kind of worked though...he did come home!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Hmmm...I too, have seen several signs recently for Silver alerts! I had never noticed them before.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote