Help

The VENT

Corporate America

>

TheTrunch

Corporate America
Old 11-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in a small group where the leader is a pastor. She referred to the school system as a corporation.

I know it and I see it here... but not in those words. This is exactly how school has changed in the last decade. We have turned into a corporation.

I think teachers are going to have to wake up and band together and try and change the Philosophy of Education into something more humanistic.

I don't think NEA or CTA are interested in that. They are just part of corporate America and want the dollars to support their choice of politicians.

That's how I'm thinking today. ugh

TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 11-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think many organizations that were not previously thought of as businesses have embraced a corporate, business model. That is especially true of hospitals and schools. I would suggest you think of which political party has traditionally pushed that business model. It's the one that's been union busting.

Many churches themselves have adopted the corporation model. This is especially true of the popular big box churches and the ones that operate out of public high school auditoriums with streamed sermons from the incredibly highly paid CEO/preacher. In my part of the world, Steven Furtick comes to mind.

I would be especially wary of any pastor who criticizes school systems. The church has made some very strange, and, in my opinion, seriously questionable bedfellows, in an attempt to solidify their power. Consider Franklin Graham and his leadership in what has become a single family, mega-corporation. Kind of like an empire.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

School corporations
Old 11-08-2017, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Years ago we had a superintendent bring in a promotor (not the word I want but can't think of correct term) who tried to set up our District like a corporation.

The teachers fought back saying "children are not a commodity. Teaching is unlike working in a corporate environment." Person left, thank goodness.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Casseyree
Old 11-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The pastor was responding to a complaint that I had, not criticizing schools. I appreciated her using the word corporate because it was eye-opening to what I already knew. Re: the political party. Well, this draconian style of education came about under the prior administration, so I'm not sure about that. Although I do agree that one side is anti- union.

However, when you look at the facts, the best governor that Calif. had was a Republican one who decided to give us class size reduction ...reducing k-3 to 20 to 1. This was taken away from us under ultra liberal governor Jerry Brown....Sometimes I think what the politicians and unions say is different than what they support and do.

TheTrunch

Keltikmom
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

100 percent Agree. The superintendent in my district now has really caused a great divide between admin and teachers. Unfortunately, he was able to lure teachers to going along with him to get raises. The teachers hate what he did, but really it falls into their laps for trading a series of raises for horrible working conditions.

Cassyree

Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The Republican Party of Reagan looks nothing like the Republican Party of today.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Cassyree...Pete Wilson
Old 11-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had to look up his name because it wasn't on the tip of my tongue. It was Pete Wilson. He was very friendly to education. Followed by Grey Davis who was recalled. Then the biggest loser Schwarzenneggar and finally Jerry Brown who has run California like a dictator would. I voted for Brown, but he really has gone overboard ... kind of crazy really.

broomrider

Indiana has
Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

school corporations and school districts. I'm not sure what the difference between them is.
Is she from Indiana?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

School corporation vs school district.
Not sure of the official legal differences and similarities, but...

When I think of a corporation I think of an entity with shareholders, a group that expects a profitable outcome.

When I think of a school district I think of an area (city, town, county) that has public schools to educate the all the children of the area.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
McGarrett

McGarrett

And Big Government
Old 11-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Big corporations are like big government organizations and vice versa. The bigger the districts get, the more problems they have. I worked for a massive district, and it is always in the media with lawsuits and problems.

cheeryteacher

Old 11-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Iím from Indiana and we use district and corporation interchangeably. There are plenty of districts that have the word corporation at the end of the official name of the district. Itís been that way for longer than I have been alive, so Iíve never thought of it being like corporate America. Maybe it is a regional thing like a PP suggested.
cheeryteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I remember I used to be so naive
Old 11-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

and believed schools were there to educate kids. I don't even remember what was said, but I remember WHEN I realized it is all about $$$. I still try to educate kids, but the system itself is a corporation for sure.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote