Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Things to do in Cleveland?

>

Ruby07

Things to do in Cleveland?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM

We're spending the weekend in Cleveland, and need some suggestions about where to eat, and maybe another attraction or two to visit besides the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

thanks!

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Some things...
Old 11-08-2017, 05:58 PM

We enjoyed the Cleveland Zoo. It had a rain forest exhibit we especially liked. Right near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was a great science museum. We also took a boat ride on Lake Erie and there was an entertainment district called The Flats, where we ate at Max and Irma's on the water. Not sure how hard it is to get a Cavaliers ticket if they are playing in town, but that might be fun. We also took a tour of the baseball stadium because at the time, it was impossible to see a game because the Indians were selling out every game. Seeing the parts of the stadium the public normally would not go to was very cool, and I think a portion of the profits went to charity. Enjoy Cleveland. We did!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Things to do in Cleveland
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Come see meeeeee!

We are big fans of the zoo. DS would go every day if he could. The Rainforest is truly unique. The Great Lakes Science Center (next door to the RRHF) has a brand new train exhibit that I can’t wait to take DS to see. If you walk around the lake behind the RRHF you can see one of our “Cleveland” script signs. We have an obligatory photo in front of it.

I’ve heard the aquarium isn’t that good (and very expensive). The art museum is nice and the Natural History museum is fun. Friends of ours love the botanical gardens and the arboretum...but it’s going to be COLD this weekend.

Oh, OH! West Side Market! It’s a fun place just to visit and the building is gorgeous. There’s a restaurant there, but I’ve never eaten there so I don’t know if it’s good.

Last year, when DH’s school went to get tickets, nose bleed tickets were almost $100. Not sure if they’re cheaper this year since they’re no longer the reigning NBA champions.

I haven’t been downtown to eat in years. If you like shopping, Tower City is beautiful. Playhouse Square has several theatrical productions to choose from (and the chandelier in the middle of the street is really neat).

I hope you enjoy your weekend here! I swear, it’s not always this cold...just usually.

Last edited by h0kie; 11-08-2017 at 07:38 PM..
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Are you a fan of the move A Christmas Story? The house that was featured in the movie is in Cleveland. We visited a few years ago. It was fun.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Cleveland
Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 AM

This Sunday at the art museum is Second Sunday. It's a monthly family event for kids to engage in cool art activities. Check it out! It's going to be cold so an indoor thing might be just the ticket for you

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

My hometown!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 AM

Great suggestions so far - I love showing off the 216!

There are all sorts of great restaurants on 4th Street, and there's usually something going on on Public Square. Wander into Heinens grocery store on E 9th. They took a turn of the century bank and repurposed it into the most beautiful store you'll ever see - check out the murals, tile floors, and ceiling.

If you like beer, there are great breweries (Great Lakes - try the Christmas Ale or Dortmunder) in Ohio City, the neighborhood where the West Side Market is.

Mitchells Ice Cream has their production facility right there and you can see if tours are available and get some ice cream if not. Also in Ohio City is Hecks Cafe and other locally owned eateries.

Gordon Square Arts District is close to downtown and features eclectic shops and more restaurants, as does the adjoining 'burb of Lakewood.

Enjoy your stay!
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Cleveland
Old 11-09-2017, 05:03 AM

Friends of mine live east of Cleveland where there are many great wineries.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

The Cleveland Flea!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 AM

You're in luck! Check out 3333 Lorain Avenue from Nov. 10-12 - a GREAT handcraft and flea market with all sorts of unique and eclectic stuff and many food trucks. The Flea gets crowded. Start your holiday shopping early.

http://www.theclevelandflea.com/november-1
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote