Help

Substitute Teachers

Minimum Wage and Sub Pay

>

NJSubteacher

Minimum Wage and Sub Pay
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It is very possible that the minimum wage in NJ will be rising significantly to $15/hr. However, as a sub, I work per diem and in one of my districts, it is only $90/diem. My question is would school districts be forced to raise sub pay per diem, if minimum wage goes up to a certain point? If I do the Math $90/diem (7 hrs) no where near equates to $15/hr min wage. Any other subs have experience with pay increases after their state min wage went up significantly? Just not sure how min wage laws affect per diem pay.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's an interesting question. Can't wait to see responses.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Or let's say
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That a supply teacher works for 6 hours in your district, not 7, nine to 12 and one to 4. That would mean $15 per hour but it's still short or not cummensurate with the standard in your district. I would ask your Union if there is one for supplies.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 11-09-2017, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the response, but Mikhail I think you misunderstood my question. Subs in my district work from 8am - 3pm for full day assignments. This is at least a 7 hr day, minus the 20 min lunch break. But, I just don't see how they can legally only pay $90/diem (7 hour day) when/if the state min wage reaches $15/hr.

The way I see it, they will either be forced to raise the rate to about $105/day OR make us independent contractors (which wont work because they would lose every sub to another local retail job or anything else).

We dont have a Sub Union in NJ, but I believe schools still have to meet min wage laws for subs, if I am not mistaken

kahluablast

Old 11-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We all know subs are underpaid most places as are full time teachers. I certainly hope that in these areas subs get raises that makes the rate at least equal. However, I doubt that it will.

Our day is 7 hours long with a 30 minute lunch. That would make our sub rate right at the $15 rate. Your rate is slightly less, right? They could push the rate to $100 and be meeting the rate. Of course, it won't happen unless someone pushes the issue.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Minimum wage did go up this year and the subs in our district got a .50 per hr raise. We make $18.50 per hour.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This discussion reminds me of my days as a summer day camp counselor 40+ years ago. We were given a salary for the summer, but when calculated on an hourly basis, it was far below the minimum wage of the time. It was unfair, but as far as I know, the practice is still legal.

If the minimum wage does go up to $15/hour, some districts will raise the daily pay rate. Others will continue their current practice of mandatory off-the-clock work, and find creative ways to increase it. Here's an example from one of my districts. The school day is from 8:05 to 3:25 with a 45-minute lunch period. The daily pay rate is $93, which works out to about $14.53/hour. In reality, it's lower. We're required to be at work at least ten minutes before school starts, and have to stay at least ten minutes after school while students are being picked up. We also have to finish writing the sub note. When this extra unofficial time is taken into account, the hourly rate drops to about $13.96/hour. Teachers aren't supposed to ask subs to work during their lunch breaks, but a few find creative ways to do it. This increase in off-the-clock time pushes the hourly pay rate even lower.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My typical day starts with me at the school by 7:30. If I have bus duty (as I did today) I don't leave til 3:30. Lunch break is 20 minutes. We get $120 per day,about $15 per hour. Not enough to live in the expensive Bay Area. I am thankful my husband has a good job.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My bet is that after enough subs defect, they will raise the pay. That's basically what happened where I am. They simply could not get enough people who wanted to be subs. They raised the pay, and suddenly they had enough subs.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

After doing some online research, it appears that per diem employers must still legally follow minimum wage requirements. But, I agree that some school districts would try anything to minimize work day hours by giving a longer lunch, allow subs take a break during teacher duty periods, etc...

Our min wage has not gone up yet. Only time will tell I guess.