Need advice - which electronics for the little ones? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Need advice - which electronics for the little ones?

>

Youthcantknow

Need advice - which electronics for the little ones?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM

For a moment I want to put aside the question of whether young children even need any type of electronics. The reality is that their parents choose to use them with limits and there are some age-appropriate videos out there.

So my question is if you can point this grandma to good tablets/tablet-type things for very young children. One grandchild loves to watch short videos on cell phones but every time she reaches out to the screen she accidentally closes or changes the screen. I've heard that there are tablets for children that won't do that?

Then there's the two-year-old who turns three shortly after Christmas. I'd like to find an appropriate tablet-type thing that has educational activities that are age-appropriate. She doesn't go to daycare or preschool - her parents can't afford it. She's still working on mastering colors and doesn't know any shapes, numbers or letters. She doesn't even have a concept that they exist. I'd like to find the right child's tablet for her age and would love input from the moms, dads, and more experienced grandparents out there! I've looked at the Leapfrog products and quickly got overwhelmed by the different types.

TIA!

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Devices
Old 11-09-2017, 09:11 AM

My SIL bought a cheap, basic iPad for GS from Amazon. $30 I think. Then downloaded some Sesame Street videos and a few games where you just touch the screen. GS turns 1 next week. He's already figured it out. He doesn't care if it pauses or does something weird to it. Sometimes he'll bring it to me to restart it.

Frankly, it's no different than plopping a kid in front of the TV for 30 minutes like we did in the olden days.. He loses interest in about 20 minutes. His parents make sure his time with it is limited. Usually when they need to get something done quickly or he's being cranky.

For months, all you had to do was turn on Moana and he was a happy camper for at least an hour. Now he just wants to dance to Elmo singing "what's the letter of the day." Seriously, he gets whiplash when he hears the first bars of the song. Once it's done, he walks away to play with toys.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
One grandchild loves to watch short videos on cell phones but every time she reaches out to the screen she accidentally closes or changes the screen. I've heard that there are tablets for children that won't do that?
On an iPad, you can enable Guided Access and set a password. The kiddo cannot navigate away from the app without entering the password.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 PM

I'm planning to get my kids the Amazon Kindle Fire for kids. It comes with a kid proof case and a two year warranty, no questions asked. Also a free one year subscription to Amazon's unlimited videos, books, apps, etc. They are $99, but I've seen them as low as $80, and I'm waiting a bit longer to see if they'll be on sale for Black Friday. Everything I've read has great reviews. They have a kids mode that will keep them on the same screen without being able to exit out. (And technically, you can do that on your iPhone or iPad, but it takes a lot of steps to turn it on and off)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J90MSDS..._DfnbAbN75CB8G
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
(And technically, you can do that on your iPhone or iPad, but it takes a lot of steps to turn it on and off)
On an iPad (I don't know about phones), once Guided Access is turned on/password set, all you do to enable it is triple click the home button.

Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-09-2017, 04:56 PM

For kids that young I'd go with an Amazon Kindle Fire for kids. They get very cheap around the holidays, come with cases and everything, and are pretty easy to use and come with good parental controls.

Ipads are great, too, and I use the guided access all the time with my kinders. They can only use the app I choose and it's really easy to turn on and off.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Texh
Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 AM

For a two year old, I wouldn't. Honestly, I think 2-3 year olds should have little technology/screen time. I would wait on the younger one and just get him/her some play dough or little animal figures to play with.

For the older one, I would ask the parents before buying.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Helpful info.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:24 PM

I think I'll probably go with the Kindle Fire for kids, thank you for the recommendations. I didn't know about its features but they sound like what I'm looking for. I also didn't realize that I can make adjustments to the setting on our iPhones so that the little one doesn't change the screen accidentally. PTers know everything!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote