Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

help with kinder

>

Vet3Teacher

help with kinder
Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a reading teacher in an elementary school. I have a group of kindergarteners who don't know their letter sounds/ID or numbers to 10. Any ideas how I can start getting them to carry it over to the next day. Some days it's like starting from scratch.

Thanks!

Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 11-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD for letters and sounds. It's a wonder, esp with learning the letter sounds! $12 or so on Amazon

Also try Heidi Songs CDs. Her letters and sounds CD is great, used in conjunction with showing the letters. $15 on her website heidisongs.com
I would get her numbers and shapes CD (numbers 0-10), as well as her accompanying number cards. Fantastic together because the kids make movements as they watch the cards and listen to the CD. So, too, is her teen numbers CD. Such catchy songs! All are $15 each.
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 11-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've always found taking it slow to work with strugglers whether they were in kindergarten or 6th grade. Introduce 3 letters, 3 sounds, or 3 numbers and do various things with them all week. The next week on Monday if they know them all introduce 3 more and periodically review the old ones. 3 is just an example but I find struggling students do best with 3-5. One of my favorite easy games is called Roll Say Keep. You can review any concept with the game so long as you can write it on small flash cards. I'd make 3 or so copies of each letter (capital & lowercase) and number 1-10 then you can have 15 cards to play the game while only reviewing 5 letters/numbers. I've also made uno cards with letters, sight words, numbers, etc. Or Go Fish. Or memory. If you make it fun they'll hang onto more. Most kids I work with who have struggled have a hard time with their short term memory. As teachers we are encouraged to shove more and more into their little brains. Often things just move too fast paced for some students.

https://missmernagh.com/2016/01/22/f...eep-printable/
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much! I will check it all out.
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote