Help

BusyBoard

Issues with Tipping Chairs

>

chanrowl

Issues with Tipping Chairs
Old 11-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I'm working with new teachers in my district and I one teacher who works in a brand new school so they have lot of fancy things. One are these new fancy chairs that some person who's probably not a teacher designed. Anyway, when observing her class on average there is at least 5 kids rocking in them at any given time. She addresses them, they stop for a moment and I don't even think the realize when they're back to rocking them. I've never had fancy chairs, all of mine have been 4-legged, though I still would have a few who'd like to tip back in them. I didn't really have issues dealing with it, so I'm a little stuck on suggestions for her to use to management this issue. Any thing you've tried that works?

chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

Here's a pic
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Pic of chairs can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgebjesdup...chair.jpg?dl=0

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We spend a lot of time at the beginning of the year talking about SLANT position. I also tell the kids "4 on the floor or stand". If they choose to tip them, they choose to stand. It usually only takes once or twice (although there are a few slow learners who need to stand a few more times). I tell them when they can sit appropriately they can feel free to go get their chairs. I worked with a teacher who had 2 kids in a year tip over and end up with stitches so I'm a rabid shrew about it.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 11-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also have taken chairs away and made students stand until they believe that sitting correctly in a chair is a better choice. I've had a student tip back in his chair, fall back on the floor while also pulling his desk over on himself. He wasn't hurt, but he could have been. It is a safety issue.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Looking at the photo, I'm wondering whether the chair tips forward if a child sits on the front of the seat, without intending to rock the chair. If so, it's a design flaw which perhaps should be discussed by the district and the manufacturer.

TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, I was a big proponent of "stand if you can't handle sitting properly". However, part of the problem I should have added is that some of her students see it as a reward to loss their seats. I've been working on her being more firm with her expectation too.

chanrowl

Taoep
Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, they are much easier to tip when sitting on the edge of the seat. However, I watched several intentionally tip it forward so they could rock. My role is observer, so I really don't intervene unless I see something dangerous happening, so for the most part I personally haven't addressed any kids. She's pretty good with catching them too.

blcw

Old 11-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Those don't look very sturdy.
I have chairs/stools in the library at the computer tables that spin and can be raised & lowered. I'm ready to toss the lot of them in the dumpster. Who ever picked those never saw a middle schooler in a moveable chair.
Blcw
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Chairs
Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have several that love to tip their chairs. I told them they could sit the right way or practice after school. Two took me up on the offer. After 45 minutes of sitting the right way I know longer have a problem.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 11-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

"You tip...I take." It is a safety rule. I don't negotiate those.

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Chair tipping
Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Logical consequences dictates that if you can't use the supplies/furniture appropriately you lose the privilege of using them. It is a safety issue.

Take the chairs away and let them stand or provide a different, less desirable chair if sitting is necessary.

I have tables and chairs in my classroom. I have 1 kid who was forever tipping his chair on to the 2 back legs. I told him that I would get a desk with the chair attached if he didn't use the furniture in a safe manner. I even went so far as to having the desk moved into my classroom. He has not tipped back since.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

We have these
Old 11-10-2017, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have these chairs. They are meant to be turned around and straddled also. Have the student do that. It prevented our students from rocking in them, although they are built for that too, just not to tip back in.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

All six feet on the floor
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Or you donít have a chair. I am a rabid *itch about it because Iíve seen and dealt with accidents. I have a really gruesome (and true) story about a boy who rocked on his chair, went over backwards and hit his head on the concrete heater surround. Ambulance, hospital and me literally scrubbing his blood out of the carpet. If I have to be mean and horrible to avoid that morning repeating itself, I will, with no hesitation. Itís a big safety issue.

(The kid was fine, but had many stitches and a shaved head).
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote