Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Thanksgiving Plans!

>

MAsped

Thanksgiving Plans!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Thanksgiving will be here before you know it! What are your plans this year?

I'm staying in town. My SO and I will have a fun, yet relaxing day. I'd like to maybe invite my mom over. I say maybe because we live close to each other and see each other quite a bit, so we don't necessarily need holidays as a reason to see each other.

I don't know what kind of food we'll have. I'm not a big cook and eat turkey often throughout the year as it is and I don't really eat pork or beef. I'm not worried about food, we'll find something good!

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 PM

I live several states away from my parents. I'm going home to visit Tuesday-Saturday for Thanksgiving break. The actual day is not a huge deal for us (we don't have any other family that we see regularly), but it's usually a fun visit.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-10-2017, 05:16 PM

My oldest may start a retail job for the holidays, so we may not celebrate out of town as we usually do. If she does, we will have a family dinner either the weekend before or after. I will still spend my holiday out of town. If the girls don't come, then dh and I will eat out at whoever is cooking. Happy for anything.

I celebrated 2 Thanksgivings in South Korea back in the days phone calls were too expensive and there was no internet. That was my all time low. The first year alone for the holiday was extremely difficult. I don't mind having the day an alternate day at all. But I am not cooking twice.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Itís my nephewís Bar Mitzvah that weekend. So, I get the joy of travel to FL on Thanksgiving and traveling home on Sunday. Iím not looking forward to this for a million reasons.

Last year I had the perfect Thanksgiving. Apparently the universe was preparing me for this one.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-10-2017, 05:20 PM

Dh is scheduled for his next chemo the day before Thanksgiving. Based on past experience, he isnít going to be feeling like eating a big dinner the next day...so we are having the kids (Ds & his wife, dd and her bf) over the Sunday before. I was scheduled to lector at 5:30 pm Mass, but I was able to get a sub, so I can go to church Saturday and have all Sunday to cook.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 11-10-2017, 05:33 PM

We will have dinner at my mom's house. DH's deer stand is on my mom's property and he will come out of the woods at dark, so we will have late dinner. That way, he can hunt all day.

Then, MIL will be mad because we didn't go to her house, but I have always felt that if DH doesn't worry about having Thanksgiving with his mother, then I'm not going to worry about it either!
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM

My DD is coming home for Thanksgiving this year! Last year she needed to stay at her college because of the football game. We went to join her, but then our Thanksgiving dinner ended up being pancakes at IHOP because it was the only place open after the game. This year it is back to my brother's house. My sister in law and her daughters are phenomenal cooks. There are 37 people invited - our side of the family, my sister in law's side of the family and one of her son in law's families. It is crowded and noisy but very much fun! I'm looking forward to it!
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

MrHistory12

Old 11-10-2017, 06:09 PM

Hanging out with my family Thanksgiving Day and then dinner Friday with girlfriends family. Apparently my family is starting a tradition of going to Thanksgiving morning Mass. Excited to see lots of awesome people and just hangout
MrHistory12 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 11-10-2017, 06:10 PM

DH and I will have a quiet day. DS2 is going to his g/f's family. DS1 is working later that evening (he is a police officer). I've already bought a turkey breast and will make some of the fixings later. We may go to the movies later to see Wonder.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

We will travel
Old 11-10-2017, 06:17 PM

to my brother's house- about 8 hours away. My parent's are in Assisted Living there. My sister and her family will also come. There will be sixteen in all. 14 of us will be trying to find a corner to sleep in. As the oldest sister, I am guaranteed a bed, so all is good! We will not see our kids- too far for either of them to drive for a weekend, but we will travel to see MIL for Christmas and our girls will meet us there.

It may be fun- but it will not be relaxing!

rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

We will be at home
Old 11-10-2017, 06:23 PM

This will be our first Thanksgiving without my mom so it will be a bit different. My sister will be here with us as well as my DS1 and his fiancť, DS2, and DS's fiancť's mom and grandmother. It will be our first blended new family holiday dinner! New beginnings.
Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Thanksgiving
Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 PM

Dinner at my in laws' place. This year we are blending my in laws with my new daughter in law's family. My side of the family lives too far away to join us.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 11-10-2017, 07:15 PM

We are gathering at DS#3/DILís house since they live closest to the airport for those flying in and are centrally located for the road travelers. We will all be together on Black Friday and the weekend instead of actual turkey day. I have always told my sons and their wives that i didnít care when we got together as long as we do get together. Not sure if my sisters will be coming to my momís that week or not. If not, DH and I will eat with her on Thursday.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 PM

My mom usually cooks. I'm not sure she will feel like it this year.

DSS wants us to come see him over the break, too.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Your plans do sound nice and relaxing!

We will have dinner at the house (Publix will make most of it and I'll pick it up, ) around noon. It will probably be DH, me, DD, both DSs and DDILs, DH's sister, BIL and nephew and a good friend from HS along with her adult son. After everyone leaves we'll put up the tree then DH and I will go to a movie (tradition).

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

Old 11-11-2017, 03:14 AM

We'll be headed to my husband's family, about 2 hours away. I would like to host Thanksgiving, but I figure as long as MIL is healthy enough I'll let her host - she loves having everyone there. My time will eventually come - she is 69.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-11-2017, 05:15 AM

Well, for the second year in a row it will be just the 3 of us staying in our own home after traveling for holidays 30+ years and I am THRILLED about that!!(DD is in DC and will be home at Christmas with her BF). I have already ordered the Thanksgiving Dinner in a box from our local grocery store. Last year I tried it, though we were a bit skeptical, and it was GREAT!!! I did make an apple pie to go with the pumpkin one that came with it. It was SOOOOO relaxing not to travel 2 hours each way since we no longer have a place to stay and be in a crowd of 17 all day long with nowhere to go for a little peace and quiet.
If you saw my earlier post, youngest sister, who never had to travel more than 5 minutes, is ticked about this, and about Christmas plans and being irrational. Tough luck kiddo
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-11-2017, 11:27 AM

We are going to my mom and dad's house. It will be a combination of people. DH, me, our two boys & DIL, DH's sister & BIL, snowbird friends, and I assume my brother and wife. We will have a traditional meal. Everyone brings a dish.
crazy4catz is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Thanksgiving ?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:34 AM

My mom usually has the big meals at their house. This year we have a few extras. This week she asked if it would be ok if she used paper plates (platter type) I was like NO! I know it's a lot of dishes but I still say no. What kind of dishes do you use?
crazy4catz is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Dinner at home
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 AM

My neighbor and I will be having her sister and brother-in-law over. We are catering it from Wegmans and getting the desserts from a local Italian specialty grocer, so the meal prep will be easy. The next day, we will probably head out to shop, although Black Friday is not what it used to be and I refuse to go out to shop on Thanksgiving Day for any reason. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I am looking most forward to the 4 days off from school!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 11-11-2017, 01:39 PM

My husband and I will be at my parentís house which is an hour and a half from where we live. We are usually there for Thanksgiving Day, stay overnight, then leave for Indianapolis Friday morning and return home Sunday evening.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

bellringer

Thanksgiving plans
Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM

I will be hosting/cooking. My mom and dad, my brother, DS and his GF, and me. I will have the traditional turkey/dressing/mashed potatoes and several side veggies along with desserts. I'll want to do it up, as DS and GF will be on the East Coast for Christmas and I'll have brother's five daughters/one husband then.
bellringer is online now   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 PM

I'm going to Disney World!

For 15 years we've hosted both sides of the family at our house. This year our daughter is a junior, and we're hoping to soak up as much time with her as possible. Since Thanksgiving always ends up stressful (mainly bc we have too many family members that can't make a commitment and end up canceling on us), we decided to just run away this year.

I'm excited about vacation, but it does seem strange to be leaving our family on the holidays.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 AM

Very nice guys! Whatever you do, enjoy!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote