Kindergarten

name writing

>

lovingkindie

lovingkindie

name writing
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can you please share your ideas and tips for helping with name writing?

We do 10 minutes of daily practice each day after recess where they trace over their name on a pre-made sheet. I pull a few at this time for individual practice.

We are doing fundations practice daily.

Homework is not encouraged in our district in kindergarten and honestly the ones who need the most practice will most likely not get help at home.

Out of 23 students, only about 7 can write their first name independently and correctly on the line using initial capital letter and the rest lower case. It is almost Thanksgiving! I am starting to panic! I want to introduce last name practice after the new year.

Thank you for any ideas.

iteachk2010

Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first weeks of school, we spend working on our first names.

I make a name card and a set of the cards with the individual letters of the name for each student. The student says his/her name and points/names each letter on the name card. Next I have the student build his/name with the individual letter cards by matching underneath the name card. Then I flip over the name card and the student builds his/her name from memory. Once he/she builds it, I flip the name card back over and student checks. We repeat this three times. I also make each student a tracing sheet with their first names for them to practice.

For my students who take a little longer to learn how to write their first name and identify the letters in their first names, I also have 2 worksheets that we use for additional practice. We put the worksheet inside a plastic sheet protector. The student uses a dry erase marker on top of the plastic sheet protector when they trace and circle so they can use the sheet more than one time.

Worksheet 1-a. The student traces his/her name. b.The student writes his/her name. c. The student counts the letters in his/her name and sorts the letters-uppercase and lowercase. d. The student circles the letters found in his/her name.
Worksheet 2-a. The student reads his/her name. Then points underneath each letter as he/she names each letter. (Do 2x.) b. Next the student uses letter cards, magnetic letters, Unifix letters, letter tiles...to build his/her name. The student picks up the letters and shakes in his/her hands to mix up the order. Then the student builds his name. (Do 3x.) c. The student traces his/her name. Then erases it and traces it again. (Before we put this sheet inside the plastic sheet protector, I use a yellow highlighter to highlight the space between midline and baseline. I also have the guidelines color-coded.) We look at the name and identify which letters are tall, short or drop-down. We check to see which guidelines each letter touches. We also think about where to start each letter. d. The student writes his/her name.

There is an app for the iPad called Write My Name. I add individual students' names. Students click on their name. It shows the name. Then models how to write the letter/says the letter name and then student traces the letter until the whole name is written.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sample-BOY Trace Write Count Find Letters in Name.pdf (216.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by iteachk2010; 11-13-2017 at 10:02 AM..
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 11-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is the second worksheet. Like I mentioned, I use a yellow highlighter to highlight the space between the midline and baseline on guidelines where student traces his/her name. I am able to add the yellow space on the guidelines where the student writes his/name, but can't get it to work when I have the dotted tracing letters on the guidelines so I just have to add the yellow by hand.

iteachk2010

Old 11-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our occupational therapist shared a system with us where she talks about letter sizes 1, 2, 3. I adapted that to the terminology I use-tall, short and dropdown. When I introduce a letter and we are learning to write it, we discuss the letter size, too. I attached a chart I made for letter sizes and spacing when writing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Letter Sizes and Spacing.pdf (232.5 KB, 36 views)

anna

Old 11-12-2017, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a sheet that each student gets customized to their name. On that sheet the student traced their name,built their name with letter beads(in a customized baggie) and then a space to write by themselves. This sheet is inserted into a large plastic see through pocket. The student uses a whiteboard pen to write on the sheet each day. Each student has a whiteboard pen and black ankle sock eraser . This activity is now in a writing workjob area for them to choose but the first month of school,this activity was on their table spot as they entered the classroom every morning. This daily practice is not necessary for most students now.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

great ideas from pposters
Old 11-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As an intervention teacher who works with the lowest Kinders in our school, I shy away from using pencils to write their name until they have practiced with wipe off markers on wipe off boards, chalk on the sidewalk for gross motor practice and tracing various textures with their fingers. I also make them identify the letters from their letter cards and magnetic letters as they put them away for clean up. I also don't really work on this skill anymore.

When I taught tk I was successful with these :
1) I created large letters on 11 x 17 sheets of paper ( or larger) that were outlined. They were laminated so the students could trace, color the inside of the letter, or use their whole hand to trace the letter. Creating very large letters did help because they could walk across their name as they identified the letter.

2) Simply using a paintbrush dipped in plain water to "paint " their name outside on the sidewalk too was a lot of fun.

3) Have you tried asking parents to assist with these ideas? I can't imagine parents not wanting to make it fun. Heck building their name with playdough is not really considered homework is it?.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
independently and correctly on the line using initial capital letter and the rest lower case
This is what caught my eye in your post.

First worry about using a capital and lowercase. Don't worry about writing it correctly on the line. Many kinders are not developmentally ready for that. They should be able to write it independently by now (and I say that when I still have 3 that can't) but you can stop panicking about meeting this expectation.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
First worry about using a capital and lowercase. Don't worry about writing it correctly on the line. Many kinders are not developmentally ready for that. They should be able to write it independently by now (and I say that when I still have 3 that can't) but you can stop panicking about meeting this expectation.
Interesting. I'm the opposite. I worry more about orientation before using upper- and lowercase properly. This is literally the first time we haven't been twinsies.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Zia- I'm in shock!

I do practice correct penmanship in terms of using the right strokes, but don't worry about lines so much. So many kids don't have the fine motor/eye discrepancy (that's not the right term but I can't think of it right now!) for lines just yet. So we work on just writing it first, and then work on line placement as the year goes on.

Hmmm...
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Okay, so now I want to explain further...maybe we aren't so far apart on this, Sbkangas.

I use FUNdations and start handwriting using the enormous lines on the back of the white board--pic below. The idea is to teach them a j is a worm line letter or an r is a plane line letter. I progress to smaller lines as the year goes by.

I think writing in all caps is developmentally appropriate and they'll sort out when to use lowercase as time goes by. I view lowercase letters as a whole different alphabet and one most kinders haven't seen before.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote
lovingkindie

lovingkindie

thanks!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate your time and love the ideas. I also use fundations. I have noticed a huge improvement in so many this week!

happygal

Sign in sheet
Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Start with a list of names, student finds theirs and uses list as a guide to sign in. Later there is no list, later teach first and last name. Every week we tried to leave a different kind of writing tool to keep it fun. We never worried about correct form or placement.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

pumpkincake

Old 11-25-2017, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

These should be interesting to try
pumpkincake is offline   Reply With Quote