Help

Substitute Teachers

Lack Of Sub Jobs and Too Many Subs Competing

>

NJSubteacher

Lack Of Sub Jobs and Too Many Subs Competing
Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After subbing for about 9 years, this is the first school year I noticed sub jobs disappearing lightning fast and many subs are not getting steady work like they once did. I also notice less teachers have been calling out this year. Luckily I have still been averaging about 4 days per week, however hardly seeing any jobs at all in one of my districts, which was once extremely busy.

Is this a Nationwide epidemic? Are there more subs this year competing for less jobs?))))

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Not here
Old 11-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in Georgia, and I could sub every day if I wanted to!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Maybe
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That might be the case at the school district I sub for in MD. It has been this way for several years. Last year the district implemented new elementary curriculum and drew new lines to repopulate our school. Because of these two issues, teachers just weren't taking off unless they had to. This year is much more relaxed at this school and teachers are taking off a bit more, but so many of them are only taking half days. I am a preferred sub (I choose to only work one school) and I am only work three to four days most weeks. If I do work the majority of the week it seems I usually have at one or two half days that week. Fifteen years ago, I easily subbed everyday if I wanted. When the economy was so bad it seemed everyone was suddenly out of work and wanted to be a substitute teacher. With the cutbacks so many teachers lost their jobs and began to substitute. There was an over abundance of licensed teachers right out of college not able to find jobs so they we're subbing too. It does seem to be balancing out, but not as good as I'd like.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 11-15-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Texas here, and it's definitely changed in the last couple of years. More retired teachers are subbing to supplement their income, plus there seem to be more subs competing for less jobs. I wouldn't say there's a job shortage, but it has absolutely gotten more competitive. I feel very thankful that I sub mostly at one school, and have been there for 6 years, but I never take it for granted. It's never a good idea to get complacent. The plus side is that it keeps you on your toes and making sure you step up your game.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not here. We have fewer subs than ever. I only see elementary jobs (I have the others blocked because I never do middle or high school) and even with just elementary sometimes there's an entire page of jobs not filled for that day. I could sub every day if I chose to. This is in one small county in Northern Virginia.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Thanks
Old 11-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for your responses. It seems like it depends on where you are and what district you work in. Since I am preferred sub, I am getting work almost every day still, but definitely noticing fewer subs on most days and less teachers calling out. Also, by this time, I normally have December almost filled with teachers taking off for holiday shopping. This year, I only have 3 advanced jobs so far for December. Just seems a lot slower than usual.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Wellson

Opposite here in CA
Old 11-15-2017, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am in California and could sub everyday if I wanted and we would still be short subs. I am also in a less desirable area so there are many school people don't want to go to for whatever reason. However, this district makes up for that by paying more than others so that helps a bit.
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Move to my district in N. IL.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are screaming for good subs for teaching and as paraprofessionals. You could work every day. Today was team day. A few teachers also had a training to go through. We had 6 subs in our building (2 of them being what I call "warm bodies") that went from room to room. We are in need of long term subs in both special ed and general ed at most grade levels/subject levels. It's a crazy year. I'm doing a long term sub job in my old classroom. I've been approached about self-contained special ed positions for long term in 3 different classrooms since taking this current job. I was even offered a $200 sign on AND long term pay starting day one to move out of the classroom I'm in now and to a middle school classroom.
If you are able to and want to move, PM me and I can give you more details.
Kathy
spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also only have 2 half days for December right now, which is surprising. I'm hoping once Thanksgiving break is over, the requests will start coming in.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

"Preferred subs..."
Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

NJTeacher... I chuckled at the term "preferred sub" because it is a double-edged sword. We're a small district/school and things are fairly informal and unstructured... It's no secret that I am not subbing for the income so those who are often get called first, as do a number of retired teachers. I'm okay with that, but I seem to be a preferred sub when the assignment is a tough one. I get the calls asking how quickly I can be there... or the field trip assignments and half days no one else wants. I've recently had two assignments where I was first choice because they were, um, assignments that required delicate handling or extra hours. I consider it a compliment but have occasionally said to the coordinator, "Please... can't you give me an easy one?!"

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Tons of Sub jobs here in Upstate NY! And we just got a pay raise. NY requires so many conferences/workshops/planning periods for teachers so I don't see the need declining.
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 11-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Of course there are fewer jobs in the South. In many states there, you only need a HS diploma. Hence, the larger pool of available employees - and criminally low pay.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This morning there were 50+ unfilled jobs in my district. I would have grabbed one but I had to be home for the heater repair guy. We have a shortage here in CA.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

you could
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

apply at charter schools nearby. They need subs, too.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisajohnljc

West Coast jumping in here...
Old 11-24-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

NJSUB, I can totally relate to you

Used to work every day if I wanted! But not so any more.

By the way,
Anyone else still having trouble with the SubAlert app???
Last week before break, I booked a job on it at my usual school. Two minutes later, it calls me again, with the same job offer. When I checked on Aesop, I had been booted, and someone else put in!!

The school secretary hadn't done it, nor the teacher, and in fact they put me back in as soon as I talked to them. And the app developers said they dont even have the ability to remove someone once the job has been booked.
But someone, or something did it!

Anyone else having these problems??? Would be nice to know if so.
lisajohnljc is offline   Reply With Quote