Help

Future Teachers

Praxis 1 Math

>

Mei26

Praxis 1 Math
Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I'm new here. I recently took my Praxis 1 Math exam for the 6th time! Yes, I said 6th! The Praxis Math exam is the only thing stopping me from beginning my student teaching. I recently failed by 2 points, today I failed by 6 points. I cannot seem to beat this thing. I had 3 books for praxis AND I even purchased the previous practice tests that ETS sells online. I do not know what else to do. I have been getting up at 5:30 am every morning to study. Honestly, these last two times I took the test were my best yet. Obviously, I keep missing something, I am also a horrible test taker. I am definitely ready to give up and switch careers. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Mei26 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first thought is youre overthinking and over studying. Stop studying and just take it.

My second thought is it maybe test taking strategies more than actual content knowledge at this point (eliminating obvious wrong answers, pacing yourself on time, etc).

Are you missing questions in the same area (fractions, etc)? If so, focus on that area.

If you can afford it, it may be time to go to a professional test taking service such as Huntington or Kaplan (Id recommend Kaplan). They can give you some support, tips, tricks and extra math tutoring to get you over the hump.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-15-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It took me 6 times to pass, I ended up taking it on line. Not sure if you are taking pencil/paper or computer.

I had a friend who had trouble and studied from the GED workbook.

Another friend gave up and just does subbing.

Wishing you luck.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
McGarrett

McGarrett

MSAT now CSET
Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are some posters on here who have very good advice. Test taking strategies and time management are very important too.

A long time ago I had to take the MSAT to become an elementary teacher. It's now the CSET I believe. I had to take the test several times to pass it. I was in a rut and finally made it, but eventually you'll pass your test if you really want it. Try a couple of new strategies to pass it every time you take it. Don't take it the same way each time. That way, one particular combination of strategies will work for you.

I taught in elementary for about 18 or 19 years. I had to leave my job because I had an awful class. The school was terrible as well. Now I substitute teach. I am finding that I like to be in the classroom on a very part time basis. Two or three days a week max. I have a weekend job as well. I think I will sub for a couple of more years and then eventually leave education for good.

My point is that not everything lasts forever. I could go back to teaching full time if I really wanted it, but I feel I am finally getting this profession out of my system. I am happy about that. Your problems will pass as well, and this is just a phase you are going through.

NerdTeach

Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does your college offer a Praxis Review session? Mine did, and I found it extremely helpful. We took a practice Praxis then reviewed each question as we went.

If no one offers this at your college, it is something that you could talk to the math professors/math dean at your school and suggest. I'm sure you're not the only one who is struggling.

And if none of that works, find a math ed major who will tutor you for a few extra dollars. I was a math ed major, and I know I helped out several other students who struggled. Part of the problem may be that you are studying on your own, and since you aren't sure what you're missing, you aren't correcting yourself.

NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MissELA

Which test
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

are you taking? I was in a similar situation before student teaching. I failed the math portion twice of what's called the PAPA in my state. I ended up taking the Praxis Core (which is rumored to be easier but everyone's different) and passed that way. Unfortunately I did pay for a Math PAPA and took it the same week and ended up finally passing, so I didn't need the core in the end.

I agree with previous posters on getting a tutor. I printed out all the practice tests and got tutoring through the math department at my college. I think that finally allowed me to pass the tests.

Good luck to you?
MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest1972

Guest1972

Same Here!!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh my goodness do I feel your frustration!!! I have taken the Texas Math Certification Exam (TeXes) 4 times now and I am soooooo dejected. In Texas you can attempt only up to 5 times, so I am very nervous about taking it one more time, because if I do not pass I will not be able to teach high school math.

My certification is in Elementary Education, but I have been wanting for some time now to switch to the high school level. (I quit elementary teaching years ago, and have now been subbing in high school for a while - I have found that I enjoy working with older kids much more than I do the wee ones).

My issue is the TIME LIMIT. 5 hours initially seems like enough time, but there are 100 problems so it amounts to 3 minutes per problem. Most questions are not simple and straightforward, and require a lot of advanced thinking which I just can't get done in 3 minutes per question!!! I have found it almost next to nearly impossible to finish on time... and end up guessing on questions I do not finish.

So I understand EXACTLY how you feel Mei26... It is frustrating beyond belief.

Mei26

Thanks for Responding
Old 11-17-2017, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have never heard of those before, is it an online test taking service?

Mei26

Hi
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Omg! Only 5 times! Oh no, I'll be praying for you. I live in maryland and they said as long as you have cash you can take the praxis test as many times, it is 56 questions with 85 minutes to complete. At first I struggled with time, and I couldn't get past it, I practiced with time a lot to get over that. Now I finish on time, but not enough time to review all questions. I wish you all the luck in the world. It is super frustrating.

Mei26

Thanks for Responding
Old 11-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am taking the Praxis Core, I am currently working because I'm not enrolled in college. I have done everything I needed to do for that school the only thing keeping me back is Math praxis. I have good grades, lots of A and B`s about 3 C`s. I can only apply to my schools teaching program 2 times! I already did, so I need to pass soon. I really think tutoring will help. Thank you.

Mei26

Thanks for Responding
Old 11-17-2017, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I wish that I could take it using pencil and paper to be honest, but they said only if I have special needs I can. I have been taking it online, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Mei26

Thanks for Responding
Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Those are some super valid points thank you, I am not enrolled at school for the moment because of this delima. I transferred in after graduating community college, I did everything I needed to do, all that's keeping me back is the Praxis Math. My school has this one girl I an office that you can consult with but it's not very helpful with Math because you can't sit with her for too long and do problems. I was never really good at Math, but I passed all my Math classes in college, so this is a huge heartbreak. I just wanna do it, pass it, and teach my babies. Thanks for all the ideas I will try something.

cattleya

Old 11-18-2017, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My main problem with the Praxis 1 math is that I do not even recognize the problems or how to do them because they were not taught to me when I was going to school.

Things are being taught now that were never taught when some of us were in school.

I get caught in the statistic and graph type problems.

You are not a terrible test taker. Most tests I have taken have not been "random surveys of everything you know" Usually they are on a subject you have been studying (recently).
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

Mei26

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I guess you're right, thank you.