Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Merit Pay - the stupid idea.

>

kitekrazy

Merit Pay - the stupid idea.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Conservatives think merit pay will make the kids "better". They wonder why union teachers always vote for Democrats.

How merit pay works in the real world is management can remove unproductive people.

The NCAA is full of intellectual dishonesty by well known people (Rick Pitino). Coaching sports at this level is merit pay.

The idea is totally absurd. There have been reports of intellectual dishonesty in standardize tests where merit pay is not involved. (GA)

They've almost taken away the merit pay of existing in this field for some time called raises.

Every idea seems to be about fixing the teacher instead of the rotten U.S. culture.

kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is research that shows merit pay only works if people are working in menial, factory type jobs. In professional jobs, people value freedom and the chance to use their own creativity much more. It's been years, so no I don't remember the exact study if anyone wants to see it, but I'm sure you could google it.

I used to work in a district with merit pay. They'd gotten a grant and unfortunately for me, the grant was over by the time I started working there. School funding is horrendous here and most districts have been experiencing freezes and/or cuts for many years now. The district didn't have the money to keep paying out the bonuses/raises on their own .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 11-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are studies that I've posted here in other fields (google Chief Happiness) that most employees free to be supported by leadership at the workplace. I experienced that as a teacher for 15 years and what a difference. Most jobs are not about the pay.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote