Help

BusyBoard

Evaluations

>

nickelbackfan

Evaluations
Old 11-21-2017, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have to do a post evaluation questionnaire? Like basically reflect on the lesson and tell what you'd do differently? I hate these things because I feel like it'll just bring light to more things that went wrong!

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Previous principal
Old 11-21-2017, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of my previous principals gave job interview advice...he thinks telling a potential employer about your short falls is a mistake. I am not sure exactly how an applicant is supposed to dodge that question in a way that satisfies the employer, but let's take that idea and go with it here....

Just a thought...Can you share an alternative way to teach the lesson? That way you are not saying that what you did was wrong, but that you are open to the idea of more than one way to approach the lesson. Explain how the way you taught it fit for your current students and class dynamic, but that another year plan B would be a possibility.

I don't know if that is more work than it is worth. I hope you get lots of advice from others. Good luck.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-21-2017, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Reflection is a powerful tool. It's not highlighting failure, but rather showing you are capable of hard self analysis and growth. If you never look at what didn't work, how will you improve?

During an eval several years ago, I was teaching the letter U, using the book Underwear! My kids usually love that book. Well, I had an ELL who, toward the end, asked, "What is underwear?" Uh oh! I forgot to pre-teach vocab! And in front of admin!

So we stopped and created a big list of synonyms for underwear (which was also fun). I included that misstep in my post-eval reflection. It showed I acknowledged my screw up and also illustrated my flexibility and responsiveness to student needs. It can be framed as a positive.

Just my two cents.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have new admin this year and they had us do that. I actually liked it. Obviously no lesson/teacher is absolutely perfect. Even if nothing necessarily went "wrong," something could always be "even better."

I felt like the form gave me a chance to explain things I would have done differently and also gave me a chance to show that I was reflective enough to identify those things myself. I think the form helped me get more "points" on my eval than if my admin had just watched the lesson and rated me.

I have to disagree with the interview advice given above. In college, our professors told us that we should "turn it into a positive" when asked about our weaknesses or areas of improvement in an interview. On my very first interview, I tried to say something like, "I have so many great ideas that I struggle to find the time to implement them all." The interviewer looked at me point blank and said, "That's not a weakness. Answer the question please." My college roommate got a similar response when she tried the old, "I'm a perfectionist" route when answering that question. I was mortified and never tried that again!

When they ask that question, they're seeing if you're reflective, not trying to "trap you" into saying something bad about yourself. Share something that you're working on improving and share exactly what you're doing to work toward that. Of course you have to be smart about it and don't pick something major...in one interview we did last year for my new teammate, someone said, "classroom management, implementing the state standards in instruction, and developing IEPs" (so almost the entire job?)
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote