Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Parent Gifts

>

MissESL

Parent Gifts
Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you have your students make Christmas gifts for their parents, what are some things you have done?

Everyone else at my grade level does a Christmas gift for parents, and they are pretty neat, but pretty expensive!
I’d like to keep mine a low cost expedition. Last year, we made paper ornaments with their picture that I laminated. My only cost was the ribbon for hanging. Then I got a couple complaints, because it wasn’t as fancy as gifts in other classrooms!

I like the idea of giving parents a gift, but I don’t like spending so much of my own money to accomplish a “fancy” gift! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't do any of that unless it fits into my curriculum in some way. One year while studying pioneers we hand dipped candles in wax I had saved from the ends of unused candles. There are some less expensive recycled type ideas on line... I like encouraging them to write a book for parents, or a nice poem. Otherwise....

I wouldn't feel bad about it. I seriously doubt if in years to come those children or their families are going to remember you as the teacher who didn't do gifts for parents.

I have a pile of handmade presents that I look at every year wondering when I am allowed to get rid of them. I really don't want paper plate ornaments on my tree now that my kids don't live here. . I use the hanger thing my dd made, but boy would I like to repaint it. I don't know why she choose a color I never wear or use in decorating, and I am sure if I brought it down and told anyone about it now she would die of embarrassment. I don't know why teachers think that is necessary.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the ornament is great, especially at that age. There are tons of easy ornament ideas online.

I used to have them make coasters. I would buy ceramic tiles from Home Depot, at like .25 each, so it would cost around $6 out of my pocket. Decorate them with sharpies, then spray with an acrylic dealer.

DD's K teacher bought square pot holders 2 for $1, and has the kids put their handprint on it with paint. Added kid's name and year. I love that memory of her small hand!

A calendar is a labor intensive gift, but possibly cheap if you have paper/laminator at school, and those binding rings.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

texteach55

Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The ornaments my kids made through the years make me smile every year we put them on our Christmas tree. Have your students make an ornament with their picture. There are lots of ideas on Pinterest. I️ also like the one where they dip their hand in white paint, grab a bulb, and make snowmen out of their fingers. Let us know what you decide.
texteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

hapteacher

Old 12-18-2017, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year, we made paper ornaments with their picture that I laminated. My only cost was the ribbon for hanging. Then I got a couple complaints, because it wasn’t as fancy as gifts in other classrooms!

I no longer buy supplies for crafts for my class. This can be very expensive. I like your idea and would not feel anxious over others. Complaints we have them offer to do crafts with the class and donate the supplies.

hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Parent Gifts
Old 12-18-2017, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did the ornament - I shrunk a couple different coloring pages and let the kids chhoose which one to color. We stuck on their school picture and they signed their name. The librarian aide laminated them and we added ribbon this morning.

We are wrapping them this afternoon. They look great!
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

sophia981

Old 12-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last year our 1st graders made photo frames for their parents. It went very well.
sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

Plan a year ahead
Old 01-15-2018, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think the best bet in a situation like this is to shop after the holidays for the next year. All stores target, cvs, walgreens, ect. go all the way down to 90% off where you can get all the material you need for literally $5.00. I just went to cvs and they have their 90% sale for holiday stuff, and I bought all of the supplies I need for gifting next year
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote