I also separated my ABC and Word Study Centers this year.
We've only just started centers 3 weeks ago and it's my first time doing Reading Workshop (although I have been doing centers in a different format for about 10 years now)
Right now, in ABC Center, they have:
- sorted upper and lower case letters
- Sorted letters by type (short letters, tall letters, etc...)
- made playdough letters
- used magnetic letters to match lowercase with capital letters
For Word Study, we have:
- used magnetic letters to stretch out rhyming words and record
- unscrambled names
- use word family slides, wheels, etc... to work on recognizing chunks - they record them and circle the chunks
- I plan on having them work on sorting words by beginning sounds, ending sounds, vowel sounds in this center (using picture cards)
- A big one that I plan on using often is making words which I have letter tiles
Those are the ideas for the immediate future.