Help

BusyBoard

Calkins units of study and behavior

>

readandweep

Calkins units of study and behavior
Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach middle school language arts and am really struggling with keeping kids engaged and behaviors under control when I follow the UofS with fidelity.

Other teachers in my building are also struggling with this.

I am very experienced with elementary guided reading and have taught procedures and expectations. I do not have a classroom, but I am able to provide a limited number of high-interest texts.

Lately I have had some success with structured activities for the first 15-20 minutes (article of the week, short language bell ringer, etc.) of my 45 minute class, miniesson (5-10 minutes) based on UofS and guided practice independent work for the remainder of the time.

But I still feel this is too little structure and I am losing kids if I am not explicitly stating write this down, use this starter to fill in your idea, etc.

Doe anyone have any tips? I really do not want to go rogue and do a scripted program on my own, but I feel this is not a good reflection of me as a teacher.

Writing and reading are separate classes FWIW.

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Sorry No One has answered you
Old 11-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

iT has been years since I taught middle school. But as I remember that love the fact that they are becoming more independent and want and need practice in making their own decisions.

Could you design some project based learning lessons? Students would have more options and input, they would have to work together and hopefully they will become more engaged by having more control on what happens during class time.

http://www.bie.org/about/what_pbl

This is the best source I know for getting started with project based learning.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote