Help

BusyBoard

RIFed Question

>

Lillybabe

RIFed Question
Old 11-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I have a question and am not sure this was the right place to post it. I do not have anyone I can talk to who I can trust in person (union rep, etc.). I was RIFed from a Title I position I held for 3 years (2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015). They RIFed about ten people and I was the only one to not receive a call back for the 2015/2016 year. My union rep told me that by taking another position in another district I gave up my right to a call back for later that year or the following year. I am not sure this is true. 2015/2016 I had another job in a district I did not like. It was my understanding that the district I did Title I in had to honor a call back for me until the start of the 2016/2017 school year. I spoke with the principal on several occasions and she said she'd keep me in mind and that she didn't know if there would be any openings. The Title I position they had the librarian take over so I knew that wouldn't be on the table. Well, this weekend I came across the board minutes for the district I taught Title I in. The board minutes say I "declined call back". I did take a position in another district but I loved the district I did Title I in and no one even told me there were any openings. My question is, had they offered me a call back would they have had to honor my 3 years previous experience and start me on step 4? I was told you had to teach 10 days into your 5th year for tenure in this district. I am wondering if they didn't offer me the call back because they wanted cheaper teachers who were farther from a chance at tenure. At any rate I feel like someone has ripped out a part of me. I loved this district and I had believed their claims at lack of funds for no longer having me as part of it. I am enjoying teaching kindergarten at the current district but I don't have the connection here with coworkers that I had there. I also am paranoid I'll be nonrenewed or RIFed and have to keep floating around to different schools. I'm just not sure how to feel about this and feel dumb for feeling so hurt.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

Contract
Old 11-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have a copy of the district's contract? The questions you were asking are all things that are spelled out in my school's contract. I don't have my copy here, but I don't think that my school has to offer to pay you on the step you would have been on if you left. I do think that if you take a different job they don't have to call you back - but I could be wrong. It sounds like you need to do some research into your contract and what is spelled out for your district.
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My experience has been that once you officially leave the district for another position you lose your right to a call back.The right for a call back is really a "pending position" in this situation.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Dont know, but ...
Old 11-24-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry that you didn't get to stay in the district you preferred. Changes are hard.

If I'm reading correctly, you have been gone from that district for 2+ school years now. It seems very confusing to try to figure out exactly what happened and I definitely don't know what the rules are in your state and your former district. You might have a case if they don't have any documentation that you "declined call back."

However, after 2+ years my recommendation is that you give yourself the weekend to be angry, regretful, sad, hurt, and then go into your kindergarten classroom on Monday acting as if you are exactly where you belong. Your feelings are not "dumb"; they are human. You very much liked your Title I position and your colleagues--and that was taken away.

You're in a good spot now. With a positive attitude, it's very likely to last. You may need to look outside school for friends. I definitely did, even though I loved my job. However, I just retired and I'm very thankful for the strong relationships I developed outside school.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-24-2017, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Every contract is different and every district handles RIFís differently. In my district, they have to recall you, regardless of whether or not you took a different position an offer you the position up until a certain number of days into the school year. Thatís why itís so important that each person know THEIR contract.

If this Title one position posted two years after you were RIF Iím going to guess youíre well past the point of any recall rights.

Feelings are never stupid and youíre entitled to feel however you feel. But, I agree with PP, take the weekend to grieve and move on. Plus, do you really want to work for a district that treats its employees like you were treated?

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 11-24-2017, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel I must have been confusing in my wording. Last school year was my first year not in the mentioned district. I was RIFed due to budget. I believe the contract said you had recall rights 30 days into the next full school year. So if you were RIFed at the end of the 2014-2015 school year you were suppose to be offered any position you were qualified in the 2015/2016 school year and 30 days into the 2016/2017 school year. I do not recall it saying anywhere that once you took another position you lost recall rights. If I'd left on my own I wouldn't have had recall rights at all. For example, one person who knew they would be RIFed resigned prior to getting the RIF so she had no recall rights.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

To make things easier on yourself, get a copy of the previous teaching contract. What you remember signing may be different than what is actually in print. It is not unusual for districts to hire who they want whenever they want if the teacher's union is weak or non existant.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLady2B

Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Every contract is different. But, at my school your Union Rep would be correct.
CatLady2B is offline   Reply With Quote