Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Open Question: Innovative Teaching

>

Ucan

Open Question: Innovative Teaching
Old 11-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Would anyone be interested in joining a new group that would focus on innovative teaching methods? Even though our profession doesn't always allow us to think outside the box, I suspect that many of you have developed creative ways of teaching your students behind closed doors. Why not share your innovations with others so that they won't have to re-invent the wheel?Your active participation will have the potential to help many teachers who are struggling on a daily basis - contributions might range from something as simple as a clever way of teaching phonics to a quick way of memorizing 100 new vocabulary words. To kick-off the group, I was thinking of sharing my innovative approach to teaching reading fluency.

Please reply to this message so that I can gauge the level of interest - 10 or more positive responses should be enough to launch the group. Thanks!

Last edited by Ucan; 11-26-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

pielette

I am interested
Old 11-25-2017, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am interested in innovative teaching methods
pielette is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleymail

Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Interested
ashleymail is offline   Reply With Quote

itsybitsc1

Old 11-27-2017, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am interested!
itsybitsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Although I am interested, I would rather see the posts happen on the main part of the board rather than a group. Groups just don't get the same kind of interaction. Why not post on the busy board and use some sort of Code in the title? ITM in the title?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd be interested as well.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Old 11-27-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Kahluablast, thanks for your reply! Having never started a group before, I wasn't sure where the best place would be to list it. I agree that groups may not get the same kind of interaction and in a way that may be OK. I was thinking that a broad K-12 audience would invite suggestions that may go beyond the grade levels that I have the most experience with. Since forum moderators expect the me (the host) to be an active participant, I thought it might be a good idea to narrow the field to those that share common challenges.

Ideally, it would seem most appropriate if the group could be listed under Teaching Specialties: Innovative Methods. My plan was to first see how much interest there is and then ask the moderators what they recommend and if they would be willing to establish a new listing.

As we all know, creative innovations are often grade-level specific. One developed by a first grade teacher may not be very useful to a fifth grade teacher and vice versa. Some groups are so general that people tend to go off on birdwalks. I thought the group would be best served by narrowing its focus, even if for only a small portion of forum members. This way, participating teachers would not have to waste their time reading irrelevant posts. The new group would showcase proven innovative methods suitable for the intermediate grades.

I personally don't like codes much. For example, I have no idea what ITM stands for and suspect that others may be not either. Bottom line: I'll have to be satisfied with what the moderators will decide/allow. What do you think of listing the group on the BusyBoard: Innovative Methods (gr. 3-5)?

Last edited by Ucan; 11-27-2017 at 01:21 PM..

teacher4

Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am interested.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-07-2017, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
ITM
=Innovative Teaching Methods. I was lazy.

I think just starting or posting regularly for conversation/feedback on innovative activities would be great. This site used to be full of ideas and creativity before everyone started doing TPT and making sharing of anything on here illegal or unethical. I miss those days, and truthfully spend more of my PT time just looking for my PT friends and talking about life.

It would be nice to start seeing more sharing of ideas.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Itm
Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I noticed that there aren't any boards that devoted to innovative teaching methods and thought I would try to establish one myself. However, after receiving only 6 replies in two weeks from interested members, I'm not sure if it'll be worth my time.

I share your view that there seem to be few posts describing helpful, creative ideas/suggestions. In fact, few people ever write back expressing their gratitude for suggestions that have effectively resolved their problems. It makes me wonder just how many distressed teachers actually receive tangible help from this forum.

I get it that the conditions most teachers work in are not conducive to innovative teaching. They are either not allowed to deviate from a rigid set of approved methods and materials or simply don't have the time to think about doing anything differently. Innovation, what's that?

Perhaps anyone who is desperately looking for help and is willing to look outside the box/school can title their post as INNOVATION REQUEST. ITM would work too! That will get the attention of those of us who have a ton of innovative teaching methods to share. They can make the difference between resigning and working until retirement. (Don't forget to indicate the grade level.)

Last edited by Ucan; 12-08-2017 at 10:50 AM..