Gizmo GPS Watches- Parents can listen in to our classrooms - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Educational Technology

Gizmo GPS Watches- Parents can listen in to our classrooms

>

frogger25

Gizmo GPS Watches- Parents can listen in to our classrooms
Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Young students are starting to wear watches that their parents can call and listen in to our classrooms. Students may or may not know when and if their parents are listening. Therefore, parents may have unlimited access to your classroom conversations without your knowledge. Has anyone experienced problems with these watches? How do we feel about this? What can be done to protect the privacy of others in the classroom, bus, cafeteria etc.? What are my rights as an educator not to be spied on my students' parents?

frogger25 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds invasive to me. What about the privacy rights of the other students in class?
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

I've been looking at one for over a year
Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a parent of a nonverbal child, this is on my radar simply because he cannot tell me if something is happening or communicate should he get lost.

That being said, I'm more interested in the GPS feature since he's an eloper, too. If/when he gets one, I would notify his teachers so they're aware. I would listen unless I felt I had reason. Unfortunately, I realize not all parents are like this.

I definitely see the potential issues, but I have a different view of its usefulness.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They are not allowed in my classroom. They violate our cell phone policy. Not only that, but they are not cheap, and my students are still young. Already been there done that with broken/lost/gifted and/or lent without permission expensive things. I take it from the child, and call the parent to come pick it up. There’s been a couple of instances where the parent wasn’t even aware the child had brought it to school. The fifth graders with Apple Watches are bad enough. We used to be 1-1 and BYOD, I’m relieved that we are now truly 1-1.

The other concern is the privacy of the other children. I’ve had “that” kid in my class more than once. Their parents shouldn’t have to worry that on top of everything else they deal with another parent may be listening in and/or recording their child’s fits. I get the PP’s point, but still, no. It violates FERPA for the other children, and causes headaches when the device inevitably is in some way damaged.

There are plenty of less obtrusive GPS trackers. Not to mention, most of the kids I’ve seen with them have them as a status symbol, and I have a real thing against flaunting the have and the have nots with kids as young as mine.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Other trackers
Old 11-29-2017, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
There are plenty of less obtrusive GPS trackers.
Like Angelsense? It's huge. Plus, it has the listen in feature, too.

h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote