Help

BusyBoard

homework

>

abc1234evr

homework
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a 4/5 combo and I have a slew of students who aren't turning in homework because they don't like the particular assignment. Does anyone reward those who are turning their homework in on a daily basis?
thanks in advance.....

abc1234evr is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My homework policy is this: kids can choose to do their homework at home or during recess (notice it's their choice). If they choose to do it at home and get their homework logs signed they get a Dojo point. I do homework check-in every morning.

Part of being in 3rd grade is taking responsibility for their learning. I don't assign anything unless it's directly related to what we're learning and will help improve their learning.

They have to read 20 minutes a night and generally have a quick math worksheet. Since my general rule is 10 minutes/grade, homework shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to complete.

I hope this helps. I know many people will disagree about the recess, and that's fine, different strokes for different stroke. But, the way I see it, they're making the choice.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They don't like the assignment? What is it? How long will it take them to do it? Are they failing? Are they doing okay on the tests? If they're failing, I'd document who's not doing the work and talk to the parents. Explain that it's beneficial to learning the skill.

I teach 3rd, and I give a piece of candy for kids who make 100% on their timed mult. test, because it shows me they studied. They're learning them for one piece of candy!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

Lunch Bunch
Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If students do their homework all week (I teach 1st) they eat lunch in the classroom with me on Fridays. We play music, dance, and just enjoy! I've done this for 11 years or so, and it does motivate them to finish everything.
cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

A Different Approach
Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Throughout my teaching career, I've tried just about every trick in the book to motivate my students - candy, food, points, stars, prizes, tickets, notes to parents, privileges. By far, the most effective approach relied on intrinsic motivation which means it involved none of the above enticements. Believe it or not, in my flipped classroom, my 2nd grade students would beg me for homework! The funny thing was, they had to earn the privilege of receiving homework by completing their regular work first. Completed homework (like all assignments) had to be done correctly and was not given any points, just a check mark. I like to think I was helping them to acquire a strong work ethic.

More power to you if you enjoy rewarding exemplary behaviors. I just believe students are better off learning to appreciate the euphoric feeling of personal accomplishment - one needs to witness it to appreciate the power of intrinsic motivation!

Last edited by Ucan; 11-29-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote