Help

BusyBoard

Celebrating milestones and those that don't make it

>

kahluablast

Celebrating milestones and those that don't make it
Old 11-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On another post a person was saying how terrible they felt when the p had all the staff whose classes had achieved goals and only a handful were not asked to stand.
They were justifiably hurt and humiliated. Another poster said:
Quote:
Can you imagine the stink if we "celebrated" with the students that way? You'd think an educator would know better.
But don't we do this? Our middle school has honor roll celebrations where 90% of the kids get awards. They have celebrations for students who made grades and there is a classroom of kids who don't get to participate. Might be based on behaviors sometimes. But there certainly are more kids who get those rewards than kids who don't.

My school does Student of the month (last year we did weekly). I get to give it to 10 out of 26 kids, but not everyone gets it, but a large number do. Of course, in smaller classes even a higher percentage of students are chosen.

I try not to call out kids who don't get certain achievements, but sometimes trying to recognize kids who deserve it, automatically puts some on the outer edges as they didn't do to whatever reason. And then we are at the argument for giving everyone a trophy because that way no one is left out or feels badly.

Now, there is a line because a large part of our achievement is based on how our kids achieve, and we don't have 100% control of that. But if I am on a team of kids who can't make baskets and I can, I still am on the losing team, and I don't have control of that. Isn't that the same thing?

I don't know how I feel about this whole thing. I am glad that I am in a school that recognizes how many outside factors go into these assessments. When a grade level gets some sort of accolades for a testing thing, the entire staff usually gets credit (at least at our school). The grade level always says something about the support from other grades making it possible. I know I would feel terrible being the only one sitting down, but on the other hand, recognizing people who met goals isn't a bad thing, is it?

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 11-30-2017, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
But don't we do this?
When I read the previous thread about public accolades all thought we do this to kids all the time. There are awards given in the gym and bulletin boards with the high achievers posted etc. Kids in every classroom know who are the top students and they are often recognized within the classroom.

I question why this needs to be public.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Old 11-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Isn't it a shame that many of the things we do in schools/classrooms are not well thought out? While public recognition may be appropriate for outstanding exemplary achievement/accomplishment, that's probably the only time individuals should be singled out.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I believe everyone has something to call out as worthy of celebration. Tomorrow is our Kindergarten Awards program and everyone will get a character award. Each award has a word that I picked individually to describe each student. I will also award outstanding attendance and outstanding behavior. Public recognition of effort and each child's character trait is worthy of noting publicly and is always a fun celebration.

Last edited by anna; 12-01-2017 at 05:42 AM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Recognition
Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My school had PBIS awards assemblies where individual students were recognized each quarter.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

There is...
Old 12-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is no hell on earth like the introverted, non sporty, not exceptionally artistic solid B+ average student.

You aren't gunning for a a sports scholarship. So you get to sit through never ending pep rally cheering for those who get those awards.

You aren't 1st chair anything and winning state competitions. You sit while those awards are passed out in class. You play well enough, but Juilliard isn't on the radar screen.

You aren't the next Steve Jobs/Stephen Hawkings. The social aspect of clubs wear you out. You can't compete with the Legos from birth pushy kids. Robotics would interesting, but it's all about winning and no one has the time or patience to bring a little slower kid up to speed.

You like draw and do crafts. Your projects are well crafted and the design is good. It's not work to get into Art Center for product design. Get to watch the uber creative's go up and get that shiny gold certificate.

You work hard in school. You don't set garbage cans on fire. You aren't a pain in anyone's @ss. No student of the month for you because you don't do anything exceptionally extrovertly wonderful.

You can deal with all the above, but what breaks your back is the 4 time a year, passed out in class honor roll certificate with name and GPA read out loud. It doesn't not help the your class you has 24 teens who are shooting for Harvard. They fight to the death to change an A- to an A+. You endure listening to 24 names being said, and watch 24 peers get that certificate. It's you and the 5 other kids that get to look at your hands for 10 minutes. A B+ average is nothing to sneeze about, but in this school you might as well be a ghost.

That person is my DD friend. She has some issues and an IEP. The B+ average that she breaks her neck to get is awesome. My DD said her friend left the room during this past "Celebrate Excellence Awards", and cried in the bathroom.

Believe me. Schools make sure all the students know who the good, meh and bad cattle are
Tawaki is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well said Tawaki.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote