First Grade

Kids "outing" santa

>

FunFirstGr

FunFirstGr

Kids "outing" santa
Old 12-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím teaching first grade at a new school this year and seem to have several students who know the ďtruthĒ about Santa. They have been fairly vocal about saying Santa isnít real and Iím really stuck on how to handle it.

At my previous school I usually had one, at most, who didnít believe and I could usually redirect it by saying something like ďhe always comes to my houseĒ, and that was generally good enough to save it.

I of course want to be respectful to families who donít do Santa with their kids, but I also donít want it spoiled at such a young age for my kids who do still believe. Anyone have suggestions on this?

Haley23

Old 12-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always struggle with this issue. I understand wanting to preserve the "magic" for kids that do still believe, but I don't like to say things like he's real or that you won't get presents if he doesn't come to your house. I do have some kids that know for a fact he's not real, so I feel like if they hear me saying things like that, that makes me automatically lose credibility with them. If I'm openly lying about that, what else am I lying about?

My typical strategy is just to say, "We don't talk about that at school. If you have questions, ask your family at home." It's district policy that we don't celebrate Christmas at all at school (respect to different religions and all that), so it doesn't seem unreasonable to say we're not going to talk about Santa. I basically treat it the same way as if a student were to come ask me about religion.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 12-04-2017, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just say something about those students being non-believers. It is the truth but also doesn't say they are correct or incorrect and then I move on.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

When DD figured it out,
Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We talked to her privately and told her that "knowing" made her a big kid and that her responsibility now as a big kid was to help keep the secret and not spoil it for those still believing.

Can you modify that somehow for your class?

FWIW, she was told several times before she figured it out. The first several times she didn't believe the classmate. I'm pretty sure she was a second grader by then.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Outing santa
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We had that conversation today. I related it to respect for others opinions and that we need to consider our right to have different ideas, rather than wether something is true or not. Everyone's traditions are not the same and we should respect all.

Kids got it at least for now.

We celebrate Christmas in school (Santa style, not religious) and next week we celebrate Hanukkah, and other winter holidays around the world.

Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I usually say
Old 12-07-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"I believe in Santa" which seems to satisfy, although I've gotten a few odd looks from some non-believers.

In relation to some religious conversations among the students which I get pulled into,I've talked about the difference between knowing and believing and that different people believe different things. I've said that most children believe what their parents believe about religion (and maybe about Santa,too, but that hasn't come up directly).
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote