Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Learning Goals?

>

NHHStephanie

Learning Goals?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I teach a 3 & 4 year-old class in a non-traditional preschool environment. I am wondering if you can share what you use for learning goals and progress check in's for this age group. How do you measure growth for this age group? Any books, resources, blogs, or articles you have found to be helpful would be appreciated as well! Thanks in advance!

NHHStephanie is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach in what I guess you would call a traditional preschool center. I have a range of 3 year olds this year, most of whom will turn 4 in my room and then go on to Pre-kindergarten.

I assess letter name and sound knowledge and numeral identification every 6 weeks. Rote counting too. They sing the numbers to 20 (to the tune of Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking...). I pull kids over during recess. That's the only time I have. Particularly antsy kids I have to test when the other kids are napping or occupied.

I teach using the Heidi songs letters and sounds CD and the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD for letters and sounds. This age child is so responsive to songs! they enjoy them and they are a great aid in learning. I also use Heidisongs.com numbers and shapes CD, and the first sight words CD.

You can find all this here:
https://www.heidisongs.com/collections/all

The CDs are $15 each.

I can't be too helpful for the learning goals, because my center isn't quite that formal, but I use things like this article:

http://blog.heidisongs.com/2013/12/p...-to-learn.html

We toss dice in small group and line up that number of items 'like a train'.

I use the following websites:

thisreadingmama.com
themeasuredmom.com
prekinders.com
prekpages.com
heidisongsblog.com

I hope some of this is what you needed.
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 12-16-2017, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check your state's Preschool Content Standards for guidelines and expectations at each age level. You can also look at a preschool assessment such as Brigance for developmental levels. I taught ECSE for several years, initially I assessed, colors, shapes, number identification, counting, etc. to determine a baseline. It helps to create a "map" or plan for lesson planning. Previous poster gave you some great websites to check out. PM me if you want/ need help. Preschool is the BEST!
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

sophia981

Old 12-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I recommend you document students' progress in a report card type of system. The report can be sent back home periodically
sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote

cfsanders

Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is it about your environment that you consider to be non-traditional, the age grouping, the program structure, etc.? That might help pinpoint some resources. I taught 11 years in an inclusive public preschool classroom before transitioning into a coaching role. I think multi-age groups can be challenging at times, but I think the most important factor when setting learning goals is focusing on the child's current developmental level. In my experience, many of your 4 yos may be developmentally at the level of a 3 yo or lower. While the goal is ultimately to demonstrate age appropriate skills, the baseline should start with what is attainable based on current skill level. I agree with everything the previous posters mentioned, especially using your state's standards to guide your instruction.

cfsanders is offline   Reply With Quote