Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Help with paying bills

>

Emptypeach

Help with paying bills
Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 AM

For the first time in 28 years I am paying the bills. My STBX always paid all the bills and handled all the finances (guess that's how he hide a five year affair ).

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for me? Do you pay them as you get them? Do you keep all the paperwork in a file? Should I set everything up on line?

Any tips for lowering my bills--can't I negotiate my gas bill?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Emptypeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 AM

I'm not sure I can be a ton of help, but I'll share what I do.

I put every bill I can on autopay. That way I can't forget to pay them!

As a bill comes in that I can't put on autopay, I place it in a drawer that's specifically for bills. Each weekend I go through the bills and pay everything that's there. We recently purchased a new-to-us car, and I haven't set up an autopay on that yet. I have the coupon book in the drawer with the bills.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

finances
Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 AM

I like paying them on-line through my bank account. It is easy to set up and then it all pops up as a list on the pay bills section when I go online to my bank. I pay once a month when I get paid. I like paying extra on the electric bill so that if I need to scale back one month, I have a credit amount that cuts the bill way down.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM

I have always paid all of our bills. I pay them through my online banking once a month. As they come in, I put them in a basket by my computer. Then I go through them and pay them at the same time. I print out the page showing the online payment reference code, staple them all together, and then file them.

As for negotiating bills, you probably canít lower them, but maybe you can go on one of the plans where you pay the same amount each month for heating and/or cooling bills.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Another autopay fan here. I use paperless autodeduct for everything I can. Nothing to do and so easy to keep track of by checking my bank accounts online. And think of all that stamp money and all those trees you’re saving, not to mention time spent writing and mailing bills.

DH liked paying online for the paper bills we received. I just write a check and mail those as soon as they arrive.

Last edited by amiga13; 12-05-2017 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Clarification
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Bills
Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 AM

You can do it! It is not difficult. Have a special place where you keep all your bills and important mail.

Throw all junk mail away daily so it does not make your pile of bills too big.

If you like paying online by all means set that up.

I do better if I pay my bills when they arrive. Otherwise I sometimes forget exactly when each is due.

Read hints on Pinterest about how to lower bills and save money. They have tons of suggestions.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

What I do
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM

I have a planner that I carry with me everywhere. In the back, I put a bill tracker with each month on the top and the bills down the side. As I pay for that month, I just check it off. The picture isn't mine, but it's the format I use. (Mine is much uglier!)

I pay every bill as I get it. I got ahead a few times and so for some of those, it means I am paying a month ahead of its due date. I don't mind this, so I let it just be ahead and keep paying like normal.

I have some bills autopay, but only the little ones that are the same amount every month (Netflix, car insurance, internet). The ones that change each month or that are large (gas, electric, mortgage) I pay independently.

For lowering bills--you can call your providers and ask for "the budget plan". Basically they spread your winter costs which are typically higher throughout the entire year. That way it is close to the same amount paid each month.

Hope that helps!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 AM

I pay everything online and I set up a tab labeled BILLS with all the bills website that I have to pay (rent, car, insurance, credit card, etc). The first of the month I click on the tap and pull up each bookmark to make sure I pay. It has really helped me!
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Yes, put as many bills as you can on AUTOPAY as someone above said. Anything else that you can't, pay as soon as you can so they're out of the way. Also, I made note of when each bill is due each week of the month, so I'm not caught off guard with anything. That's just an extra little precaution.

BTW, ladies, yes always be knowledgeable about your household's finances. Don't leave it to your husband to solely take care of.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

daffodils

bills
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 AM

I pay all our bills. I put as much on autopay as I can. All bills I have to pay on my own I put on my calendar app with the "paid X bill?" a few days before the due date. Autopay bills I put a note on the calendar app for "autopay for X bill"

I get all bills electronically and have them labeled as "bills" automatically when they come in.

I keep very little paperwork for billing. It's all online. You can access past bills easily online for each bill. I think at my last house I had one bill that was only a paper billing option and I kept those for a year and then would clear out anything older than a year.

daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Very Little Autopay
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM

I do not use autopay except for my house payment and health/dental/drug insurance.

I write a check and mail/drop it off for my electric, heat, gas for the car, cable, and credit card/s.

No, I do not balance my checkbook...stopped doing that forty years ago!! I get a statement from the bank each month and that is that.

I do use a debit card for grocery shopping.
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-05-2017, 01:13 PM

I have everything on autopay. The electric and gas are on the budget plan because they are the only ones that fluctuate more than a few dollars, if at all.

I'm paid once a month, so I have all my bills paid at the same time. I had to call and ask for a different due date in a couple, but that wasn't an issue.

I get paid the fourth Friday of each month. My bills are deducted on the third of each month, and whatever is still in my account after that is mine to spend or save as I wish.

I also have a spreadsheet that helps me keep track of monthly spending, and it includes things that come out automatically
, but not monthly, like my garbage bill (quarterly), AAA (yearly), etc.

There isn't really paperwork since it do it all autopay or online. I do still keep a paper checkbook register. I'm just old fashioned that way.

As far as saving money on bills, I'm not sure. I really don't have a lot of extras there.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM

I'm with many others - autopay is awesome! I get paid 2x / month, so I have it arrange that one big bill (mortgate) comes out of one and 2nd big bill (car) comes out of other. The remaining bills are randomly scattered throughout the month. Some I actually have autopay by credit card so I get the points, and then pay off 1-2x / month.

To bad I can't do that with mortgage or car - I'd get tons of points!
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Another autopay fan here! Everything that is the same every month is through my bank's billpay feature, and everything that changes I just put on "autopay" through that thing. I get a text "your payment will go out in X days" and I never have to think about it!

If I buy something big on the credit card, I go home and send a check through my bank to pay off however much I've charged so far that month. It costs exactly the same; I just don't like seeing huge amounts on my bill.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-05-2017, 04:47 PM

I get paid once per month, so it's easiest for me to just pay all of my bills at the beginning of the month, regardless of when they are due. A couple of them aren't due until the 15th and I just pay them all on the 1st anyway. It's easiest for me to just pay everything when my rent is due so I don't forget. I just sit down and pay them all at once so I know it's done- it takes maybe 5 minutes.

Since I pay everything online, I don't have to wait around for a paper bill to arrive. I also like not having to mess with writing/mailing checks. My apartment complex just changed management companies, so residents had to pay with checks this month because they don't have their online system set up yet . I was lucky to find an old checkbook stashed in my files...it has literally probably been 5 years since I've written a check! The address on my checks was from 2 residences ago!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I put everything I can on autopay.
When I first saw this, I thought it said autopsy. Yep, letís make those bills die!
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 12-05-2017, 06:39 PM

I have a couple of things on autopay, but mostly I do what Haley23 does - I sit down on the first of the month and pay everything. That way I know it's all been paid and I don't forget anything.

The only thing I don't like about autopay is that it's the same amount each month. That works for regular bills like a car payment, but I like the flexibility of being able to pay different amounts, like for a credit card bill for example.

I do everything online and all of my statements are online too, so that has really cut down on paperwork.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

i didn't read everyone's responses,
Old 12-05-2017, 06:45 PM

so forgive me if i repeat.

the only bill i have on autopay is our car insurance because once i didn't pay it in time (the renewal payment!) and we were without car insurance for about a week.

if you are only just starting to do your bills, i wouldn't recommend putting them on autopay. You should get to know what your typical bill payment is each month (and how your electric, water, and gas fluctuate through the seasons--if you pay those).

i used to HATE doing bills (still don't enjoy it)...when i was writing checks, licking envelopes, and adding stamps. yuck! now i do everything online. every bill (except medical) is connected to our checking account, so it's pretty slick to do.

i choose to not have autopay because doing the bills reminds me that the money is coming out, and i don't want forget about a large amount.

i have a list of all the bills that need to get paid and i have my logins and passwords written next to them. i pull the list out each month, right after payday...so i can make sure i've got them all. (you should be able to push back a due date so they are all due around the same time.)

i can "level pay" (i think it's called) my gas and my electric bill so that i pay the same thing each month--but since one is high in winter while the other is low, it evens out.

i don't keep any paperwork.

YEARS ago i called our trash/sewer company (can't remember why) but when they heard it was just DH and myself (not family of 4), they lowered our rate. (???) i should check in with them since we're empty nesters now...
also, you should call your TV company and tell them you're thinking of cancelling, do they have a better rate they could quote you?

hope that helps!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Autopay, but with a warning
Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM

I, too, have put all of my bills on autopay. The one thing you have to do, though, is check your monthly statements carefully. Before we dropped cable I was constantly finding errors in our bill that could have been easily overlooked with autopay. Itís awesome for things like the mortgage and car payments, but with cell phones, cable, etc. make sure to check those statements.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-05-2017, 10:48 PM

I pay them once a month using bill pay on my online banking. I also do automatic transfers for a couple things like paying off our home equity loan. I pay a certain amount each month. It is not hard. Good luck!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-06-2017, 05:54 AM

I'm a weirdo about bills. I check the mail when I get home and pay any bills immediately through online banking, scheduling them to go out the day they are due. I love online banking! Autopay triggers my control issues.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-06-2017, 06:02 AM

I only use autopay for bills that matter a ton if they are late. Mortgage because of how it implicates credit... I pay the rest on my bank's bill payer because it is free and easy. I still balance my account because how else do you know if you have money?

I used to pay mine once or twice a month, but now I pay them as they come in. I wasn't working before, so I could keep a better eye on it, but now I could easily miss the day, so I just do them as they come in. Or when the pile gets big enough.

I need to do one of those tracking sheets. There are a couple of times since we bought our second home that I missed a bill and am surprised the next month when I now owe double on something! I can't even tell you how often that has happened as a matter of fact. And no, our credit is very good. No one has punished us because of it. A tracking sheet would be good. I tend to go down through my bank bills and just check to make sure everything has a payment toward the end of the month. I am going to try the tracking sheet though, and on paper. That would be good
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I still balance my account because how else do you know if you have money?
If you have a budget that you stick to, you know you have money. The only checks you have to do are to go through the statement occasionally and make sure all the charges are ones you remember.

I don't think I've balanced a checkbook in at least 15 years (though even before that I did it only rarely - back then, I just called the bank to ask what my balance was )
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote