Kindergarten

Coats, hats and mittens, oh my!

>

Lovingkindie

Lovingkindie

Coats, hats and mittens, oh my!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching kindergarten. Now that the weather is getting colder we are dealing with winter gear for recess and coming and going. Today I had a parent call the AP about me because her son came home without his coat. I had to call her and she went on about how her son has been sick, etc. We found his coat in the lost and found. I think he had a sweatshirt on and the day was in the 40s. so it didn't register that he was leaving without a coat. Also some kids typically do not wear coats or at least come in without them on a daily basis. It is December but we haven't hit the frigid weather yet. We have a huge lost and found and they grab a coat for recess if needed.

Another parent left me a pretty angry message about his son's lost hat and gloves.

What are strategies for keeping track of all of this? I try to make sure each child has all of their gear at dismissal but with 23 kids I often overlook something. We have lockers in the hallway where they store their gear.

I can't imagine calling my child's teacher and being angry about a lost hat.

Thanks is advance for any advice!

anna

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not allow my students to take off and put down anything they choose to wear to the playground. If they get hot and want to take off the jacket,they tie it around their waist. A lost hat and gloves is not my responsibility at all and I would just say "I am sorry that happened."
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am the same as the previous poster. Your jacket stays on or goes around your waist. I let the parents know my rule and also let them know that all this gear is the responsibility of the student. I do encourage students putting hats and gloves/mittens in their sleeves or pockets when taking all their gear off. That being said, things get lost but they usually turn up eventually.
StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Winter gear
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow! Parents can be pretty clueless about this and seem to forget that it should be their child's responsibility to keep track of their things. You can't keep track of 23 student's things. At kindergarten orientation, we make it clear to the parents that it is their responsibility to label everything and to teach their child to get ready on their own. I show a picture of a locker full of winter gear and remind them that everyone buys size 5 black snow pants at Walmart.

I have students keep hats and mittens in their backpack. If they are wet, they can put them on the heater. My teammate has her students keep hats and mittens in a small basket in each locker. Before we leave to go home, my rule is coat on and zipped, boots on feet in order to line up. I check each child to make sure they are zipped and have boots. Before we leave, I check the heater for mittens and hats. Good luck!
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 12-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think a huge part of being a kindergarten teacher is teaching the parents, too
My students are responsible for their own stuff. And they better be teaching them how to zip, fasten, etc. at home too! I help, but only after they try on their own and after we're outside. They can stand in line and wait for me to help while everyone else plays. It's a pretty big motivator for learning how to do it themselves.
Anyway, like previous posters said, nothing gets taken off or set down once we are outside. And parents just get a "I'm sorry that happened. We'll take a look around for it" and I let it go.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Label everything
Old 12-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Remind the parents to put names on EVERYTHING! Every black mitten, glove, and snowpants look the same (especially at dismissal). If things are "lost" and not labeled, I label it for them.

Our Lost and Found is crazy. I actually have a rule that you can't borrow anything from L&F. Otherwise it seems like one kid is looking for a mitten, but another kid has the mitten on.

No easy solutions, but I love winter (until April)!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote