Help

BusyBoard

Birthdays OFF work / school

>

Smurfyteach

Birthdays OFF work / school
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another post made me think of this subject and aspect of life. A bit of a vent included.... :/

What is going on with people being obsessed and self-indulged in their own birthday?! Yes I know that it is only once per year, yet I do not fuss over myself and never have.... FGS!

Do you or your students take their OWN birthday off as like a holiday- yes off school--- ie. on a weekday! I think that is very odd and for a child, it is marked on the school record as a personal/family day but it counts as an official absence of course.

It astounds me how many parents keep their kids home on their birthdays or those parents take their child to a local theme park for the day or to a holiday town a few hours away, extend the weekend etc ....PLUS then these same parents who tell you all about it or how fun it was that dear Johnny loved his birthday.... These are the same ones who then expect to still send in cupcakes or treats for the child's birthday to share with the class the day PRIOR to their birthday absence.... or NEXT day and this seems to be a tradition for some every year!! IF they work, the parent/s takes the day off work to do this too!!

It's like there are two types of people in this world.

Give me a break already- it is just another day with a Hip, hip, hooray! For me anything more is foreign, pretty lazy and ridiculous!!

Does anyone agree?? Be Smurfy

Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Birthdays
Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Through the years Iíve worked with multiple teachers that take the day off for their own birthdays. Iíve also known teachers that take the day off to celebrate their childĒs birthday. Some of these teachers have 3-4 children so the days off add up.

Personally I donít get it. I could see for your self once in awhile if you were really stressed or a great opportunity came up.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 12-07-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At my school, it seems like younger teachers take their birthday off. Pretty silly to me too.

We also have quite a few students who don't come to school on their birthday. I think their parents are making a big mistake. In the real world, your boss is not going to care that it is your birthday!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also see people (on fb) who celebrate their "birthday month" which means all through the month their friends and family take them to lunch and dinner.

I have never taken my kids out for their birthdays. One usually starts school very close to her birthday! Had to take her down to college for the first time on her 18th birthday.

Holiday birthday for me, so truthfully, I have never had to work on it. If I changed jobs/careers, I think I might take it off. Afterall, after this many birthdays, why stop not working on it now?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I do not
Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but I don't begrudge anyone who does. If that is how they want to spend their personal days so be it.

None of my students do either. I teach self contained SpEd so have had the same kids for 3 years. I do wish a couple would as they absolutely come unglued that day--and sometimes several days in advance...

I do disagree with this though:
Quote:
We also have quite a few students who don't come to school on their birthday. I think their parents are making a big mistake. In the real world, your boss is not going to care that it is your birthday!
My DH has had many jobs now in the real world, from factory work to white-collar office jobs and blue-collar service jobs. In several of those places, unrelated to each other, they offer the birthday off as a paid holiday. In one job it was just promised in the month of, but it was still a paid holiday.

My bro and SIL both work IT in a big corporation and the birthday is offered as a paid holiday...so that may be true in some jobs but not all.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-07-2017, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My dh has never been given his birthday off working in IT.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I haven't taken my birthday off because I like to be around the kids. My birthday falls in September so I never felt like I could be gone that soon. I used to take off my kids' birthday to bring them treats and get things ready for home. It was nice to not have to do it after school. Now, they are in junior high and high school. This past March, I took my daughter's 15th birthday off to take her to breakfast and get her driving permit. I took the rest of the day and got things ready for her day at home. It was nice.
I think it's just how you view your birthday. I would love to take it off and go get a pedicure, watch a movie, go buy something fun and just chill at home.
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Never.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My birthday is 9/11, so I stopped celebrating in 2001.
I would never allow my own children to take off school for their birthday.
I think it's silly.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 12-07-2017, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've known teachers who take the day off because they hate the attention given to birthdays in school. Announcements over the intercom first thing, then students mentioning it all day, door decorations or signs etc. If other people could let them be, they'd be there.

I haven't taken it off, but I've been tempted for this reason!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My birthday sometimes falls on a statutory holiday. Other than that Iíve never had the day off. Neither have my kids.

FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My birthday is also 9/11, my husband always takes off for my birthday, over the years he would be out of town if he did not take off. I have only taken off once. I do feel if want want to take my child out of school on their birthday itís my business and I would be pissed if a teacher was speaking badly about them or myself for taking them out. I know I sound rude, but many on here say take a mental health day, itís your days, yet complain when a student takes a day off. Get over it itís none of your business.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't know that I've ever seen a student take the day off school for their birthday. That said, I work in a low SES school and I think most our families just aren't able to do something like that if they wanted to.

I've never taken my own birthday off of work. Like a pp said, my birthday is early in the school year, so part of it is that it feels like too soon to take a personal day. I also worry about judgments from other people, TBH. I personally wouldn't begrudge someone else who chose to take a personal day on their birthday.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 12-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do and so does the kiddo. Itís a day to indulge, and I try to gift experiences over ďstuff.Ē
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

I would never take my birthday off.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Nor would I allow my children to take a day off from school. Save time off for when you are sick. It gives the teachers too much extra work to try and make up the work. It is not fair to the teacher. I don't agree with going on vacation during the school year either. I know. I'm no fun.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Birthdays = Holidays
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Everyone in our family is born born on a holiday! Valentine's day, Christmas eve, Veterans day and flag day. Hubs never works on his birthday since it is Christmas eve but he hates that we spend his day driving across the state to visit other people. One year I had to work all day, have a Valentine's day party and have parent teacher conference all night on my birthday!! I really wanted to take off that day!!! I have let my older son stay home one year on his birthday to hunt with his dad.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My entire family (me, DH, all three kids) all have summer birthdays, so we don't have to worry about going to school on our birthdays. (LOVE summer birthdays!) DH sometimes takes his birthday off, sometimes he works--it depends on how busy his workload is at that time. At school we don't have a problem with students not being at school. They LOVE to celebrate their birthdays at school! It's a big deal.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote