Help

BusyBoard

anyone worked for kumon

>

dusty

anyone worked for kumon
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every year I have more and more first graders going to Kumon for math, even when they do not need the extra help. I'm curious to know what techniques they use to teach or is it just worksheets. One of my first graders who goes tells me every week that he is on his "plus 8's" or plus 9's" but he can't really explain to me how the instructors are teaching the math facts. Does anyone have any knowledge of teaching at kumon?
thanks

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Kumon
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My DD worked at one when she was in high school. Her friendís mom had a franchise. They do worksheets. When one level is mastered then the students move on to the next one. I donít think they taught anything.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked there for a summer after undergrad. It is skill and drill. Only worksheets. The one I worked at had two sections. The section with the "bigger kids," I don't remember the ages, had the tutors sitting up front at a table. Once a student was done with a worksheet, they brought it up and the tutor graded it. If you passed you moved on. I worked with the "little kids" and sat with them. I honestly don't remember much about it but it was flashcards and worksheets. Once a student finished flashcard work they moved on to independent worksheets. I probably had three to four kids at my table at a time. There may have been reading, but it's been a long time since I worked there.
StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

From what parents told me...
Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Most of the kids here go to Kumon for math only, because ExPat parents HATE (I wish I could write the word "hate" in flames because that is the level of passion) the way K-3 math is taught in my district where I live. It was much worse when my DD school did that looping math (Chicago Math?). They swore the district want the kids to be stupid.

Anyway...

It's drill and kill sheets. Boat loads of them. These weren't the "dumb" kids. These were the kids that both parents had their MS or PhD in IT/Material Science/Computer Science. What the parents wanted was the kids to be lightening fast with
arithmetic. I know parents who had 1st graders basically memorizing their multiplication tables by doing endless Kumon sheets.

The parents here want the kids to memorize, so I don't think anyone was breaking it down why 2 x 5=10. When I asked the kids in latch key (with their stack of Kumon sheets), what the teacher does, it sounded like more clarifying a question more than actually teaching blow by blow details.

Now...that is how the two Kumon roll here. They cater to parents who think doing 3 different ways of dividing is confusing crap. Their kids only need to know 72ų9=8. Maybe the two Kumons are like that because that is exactly what is wanted.

I personally think Khan Academy is 1000 x better, and is easier on the pocket book. The kids that go to Kumon here aren't 3 grades behind, and would wonder how those kids would be brought back up to speed. I never saw a really low kid attend Kumon. Ever.
Tawaki is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Math
Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Besides Kuman, XtraMath.org is still free, too.

One of the big perks when I retired was not having to deal with Investigations math any longer. So it's not just parents who don't "appreciate" the " improvements. " When we first switched I did some research and discovered that there were a lot of red flags. Parents in districts across the country protested it's implementation including parents with masters and/or PhDs in math.

There are ways to make drill practice fun. The American version of Singapore Math includes an activity called "Sprint." You pass out a sheet with the same 100 math facts printed on both sides. Give the children a time limit to complete as many as possible. Then you call out the answers and they correct their own paper and record the number correct at the top. Then they turn the paper over and you repeat the procedure. When finished ask how many have more correct the second time. Have the children ball up their papers. The children with the most correct get to be the first to toss their their paper in the trashcan that you hold up! They absolutely love throwing paper balls at the teacher, excuse me, the trashcan!

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote