Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

They need to pay more

>

mrsd5

They need to pay more
Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Subs that is. Two subs are in long-term positions, so not available for daily subbing. I have been so busy, and that's only in one building. I watched my grandkids on Monday, took Tuesday for myself (only an aide position popped up and I'm not working for minimum wage when she is basically co-teaching the ESL kids), and worked yesterday in special ed and today in p.e. I got one period to myself - half hour. I worked through my lunch and did a study hall because they couldn't get a sub for a 7th grade position. They filled in-house except for those two periods. No problem normally, but the kids were wild. I love this class, but today they were off the walls crazy. All this for $90 a day. The p.e. classes were okay except for one period. I started up the year for 33 weeks in this position, and never had a problem. The afternoon p.e. 7th grade class sat in the bleachers for 1/2 hour while I gave them the "I'm so disappointed in you" speech. They were VERY quiet as they didn't get to play at all. Let's just say that I picked up a frozen pizza at the gas station for dinner and have already had a cup of "special" coffee with Bailey's instead of creamer.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

I'm in agreement w/you!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:27 PM

My DD is doing a sub job where she is in a long-term position, but they are only paying the day rate. They are even asking her to come to after school meetings. She keeps turning them down. "They don't pay me enough to stay after hours."

Schools ask too much from subs AND teachers.

I'm so happy to be retired!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM

We have an extremely hard time getting subs. We are constantly asked at leadership team to "problem solve" this. Of course, the first thing we say every time is offer more money, and every time we're told it's not possible. Welp, you get what you pay for. My building has a ton of severe behavior problems, which are obviously even worse with a sub that the kids have no prior relationship with. No way would I put up with that nonsense for $85 per day!

The job market in my area is pretty open, so it's not like some places where new grads end up subbing to get their foot in the door. Most people looking for a full time teaching job are able to get one.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

85?!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM

They raised the sub pay last year from $85. Neighboring smaller (400 students) district pays $95. But I like my old district. I know the staff, kids, curriculum, expectations..... Still, they used to pay $100 a day, then dropped to $85 during tough financial times. Whoohoo...... Glad they put it up.

twinmom95

Old 12-08-2017, 03:14 AM

Our district pays less than surrounding ones, so yeah, guess which jobs get taken first?

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 AM

Subbing is a tough job, that is for sure. Much of how the day goes depends on the kids, too.

For a small retirement income though, for the most part it beats standing at a register for $9/hour. Roughly comes out to $13-14/hour for subbing.

Those of us still in the trenches are very appreciative of subs, even though we once in a while complain about it, too. I know I had one yesterday, and my day "off" in training was a welcome relief. I hope she had a good day in my class, even though I told my class I didn't want them doing origami. My sub last time cancelled my ELA period and did origami. Those kinds of moves baffle me.

Hope the rest of the pre-season goes well!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Today was better
Old 12-08-2017, 01:47 PM

7th grade ELA teacher was still out. AESOP called at 5:30 a.m. UGH! But it's my old classroom and curriculum. Kids were better. A few were still off the walls, but that won't get better until AFTER Christmas. One of the boys actually turned human during study hall and helped a few kids with their math. He was a pip the other three periods that I had him, though.